Street scene: color or B&W?

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
edited May 11, 2009 in Landscapes
The color symmetry between the phones and the street sweeper attracted my eye when I grabbed the shot, but I am also happy with the B&W version.

527300497_BdLf5-L.jpg

527298941_jHhhE-L.jpg

What do you think?

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 3, 2009
    Not only on the right and left, Richard, but small elements of light green connect the two sides as well. I do like it in B&W as well.

Selective color, maybe?

:hide
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    lol3.gif

Richard, that's indeed a tough one. I too love the color-coordination there, as well as the man's look to the left. Great timing on that one!

The B/W version draws my eye to the corrugated poster-thing which isn't quite the object of focus, IMO. So I suppose for me, color is the Win. Is there a way to maybe bring down the exposure of the tunnel (bg) a touch to pull attention away from it? thumb.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 4, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Selective color, maybe?

blbl.gif Nah, don't think so. lol3.gif
    edited May 4, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    The B/W version draws my eye to the corrugated poster-thing which isn't quite the object of focus, IMO. So I suppose for me, color is the Win. Is there a way to maybe bring down the exposure of the tunnel (bg) a touch to pull attention away from it? thumb.gif

Everyone I have showed this to has preferred the color version. The thing that attracts me about the B&W is that the geometry of the scene seems clearer. Can you tell I've watched some interviews with Cartier-Bresson recently? lol3.gif. The corrugated poster thing is actually a wall around a construction area that has a very old photo of the area on it. It's pretty cool, but you're right that it may be attracting more attention than I wanted. Guess I'll have to play around with it a bit more.
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    a tough one indeed- I love the mood and the pattern of the phones (or whatever those are) in the B&W... but I think the blues and greens are interesting and prominent enough to justify sticking with color.

one man's opinion :D

...also I think the reason why most people (assuming they're americans) are attracted to the color version may be because it has a more documentarian feel, and provides more insight than artistry into what the place feels like... who knows
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    edited May 7, 2009
    Thanks for commenting, kitvan. I also have the feeling that only photographers (and a few other weirdos) really like B&W these days. On my SmugMug site, the B&Ws get far fewer views than the color shots.
  • crowcrow Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Im not a big fan of selective color as others have suggested, I would have to say color all the way here, theres a nice parallel between the worker and the booths

What do you think?[/quote]
    jfghckgvlhyvluijhb;ijol m,lll
    edited May 7, 2009
    Thanks, Crow.

I reworked it a little bit. How's this?

530445986_zvpVA-L.jpg
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    I prefer the color version ! looks even greater without carthumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited May 7, 2009
    I prefer the color version ! looks even greater without carthumb.gif

Thanks, Awais. I like this last version best, too.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    I have always thought street captures work best in BW..almost with out exception. I am not sure why. It is the same in this case.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited May 8, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    I have always thought street captures work best in BW..almost with out exception. I am not sure why. It is the same in this case.
    There's one in every crowd...:bash rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, I still like the B&W a lot. Thanks for commenting.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    While you were reworking the car drove away! Mistake, I think, should've hung around:D

The only solution is reshoot, Richard! Risk is the street cleaner will either think you are interested, or stalking her and call the police.eek7.gif

I think there is only room for one of the color sets, the foreground one, blues, greens and grays. The background, salmon and beige, one has to gooooo!deal.gif Along with the incoherent blue on the receding figure which my devious eye wants to spend most time looking at.

The background should be anonymous urban clutter, very background and very anonymous, the car was useful clutter. Do a duotone on it (you already have duotone in the awning and entrance of the building R, and the pavement in front of it), then bring back a suggestion of the other colors.

All of which I suspect will be the furthest from your intention!rolleyes1.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited May 8, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    All of which I suspect will be the furthest from your intention!rolleyes1.gif
    lol3.gif Actually, the blue band bothered me, too, and I even tried changing it to a green to match the street sweeper's uniform, but it seemed unnecessary and even contrived. As for removing the car, I plan to offer my services to the municipal government...I'm sure I can do it cheaper than their tow trucks. mwink.gif

The bigger problem is, of course, the background colors. I did desaturate them some in the second version. After your comments, I tried pushing it further, but found myself in selective color land, which just looked gimmicky to me. Guess I'll play with it a bit more and see if something clicks.

Thanks for your observations. You always make me work harder than I like, but I guess that's supposed to be a good thing. :D
    edited May 8, 2009
    Had a bit if a quick go at it, Richard. It's an idea.

531425298_C2NNs-L.jpg

edited May 9, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Had a bit if a quick go at it, Richard. It's an idea.

Cheers, Neil. That's similar to what I was working on, though I am less enamored of the car than you. I agree that getting rid of the blue on the guy in the background is a good idea. Stay tuned.
  • KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Thanks, Crow.

I reworked it a little bit. How's this?

530445986_zvpVA-L.jpg

How did you get that van out of the picture and finish adding the rest of the wall and asphault? When I try to remove something, it either clones somewhere else or it smears and just messes up my pictures.

I do see though that it is lighter now than it was when the van was there. Can that small area alone be darkened to match the original?

As for which we prefer... I like the colored one `cos of the two shades of green on that person matching the two shades of green on the phonebooths; but I like black & white for certain pictures, and this picture has look for black & white, (to me of course). :-)
    ʞ1└0
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    I actually like Pathfinder's suggestion (selective color)wings.gif
    edited May 9, 2009
    Kilo wrote:
    How did you get that van out of the picture and finish adding the rest of the wall and asphault? When I try to remove something, it either clones somewhere else or it smears and just messes up my pictures.

A little bit at a time. mwink.gif Try working at high magnification with a smaller brush and use shorter brush strokes. What you are seeing is because the clone source reference point has moved to the area you are in the process of changing, but as far as PS is concerned, it doesn't change till you complete the stroke. I sometimes use the spot healing brush at a small radius to touch up the boundary between strokes. Another solution can be to uncheck the aligned box, depending on the image.

Kilo wrote:
    I do see though that it is lighter now than it was when the van was there. Can that small area alone be darkened to match the original?
    Actually, in my second color version I brightened that entire area, in addition to desaturating it. It looks like Neil may have darkened it. I don't want the Man In Black to become less prominent, because several lines converge there. Maybe just a tad more desaturation and a tad less lightening? ne_nau.gif
    edited May 9, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I actually like Pathfinder's suggestion (selective color)wings.gif
    Thanks for the suggestion Dan (and Jim), but I am pretty solidly among the group that hates selective color. I did a quick and dirty version just to see:

531992965_KFSM4-L.jpg

My feeling is that it insults the viewer--the subtext is that the viewer needs help to notice the color parallel. That may be putting it a little too strongly, but it just seems heavy handed to me. ne_nau.gif
    edited May 10, 2009
    OK, if anyone still cares, here's the final color version:

532648541_J43WT-L.jpg

Thanks to all who commented. thumb.gif
    edited May 10, 2009
    Yes, this is fine, certainly much better to my eyes than the original. I wasn't keen on the b&w and I definitely don't like the straight literal sel col.

I still think there's too much of a draw of the eye on the far wall to the bypassing of the main theme, supposing I got it, which creates confusion about the purpose of the photo to no great benefit - is it a playful duet between The Three Tenorphones and Limpieza? Or even a phurious Wagnerian struggle of the phille and the phates? But where's the carus?!?! Or is the third man gonna be gunned any sec da dadaa dada...mwink.gifrofl Will Limpieza at last have the biggest cleanup of her career???!!! In the bin he's dumped, legs sticking up incongruously giving the V for victory???!!!

Do you love surreal, R? I think SOthumb.gifdeal Well you are in the right placethumb.gifdeal The SURREAL in SPAIN stays mainly in the STRE-ET dadada daa aa...mwink.gifrofl

Oh boy! But seriously and rather NOT surreally the graham green of the leaves in the alley L might be a little more REAL, ie less unsaturated and more contrasty.ne_nau.gif

Maybe the white corrugated ? needs popping FFIIIiiizzzzz!!!!clap.gif

And there it is! As Franz Josef ended Mozart's audience.

Now, who wants a coffee and chocolate!:D

edited May 11, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Now, who wants a coffee and chocolate!:D
    I think maybe you've had enough coffee for now, Neil. :whew lol3.gif

Interesting that you thought of the MIB being gunned down...someone was shot and killed a few months ago just around the corner from where this guy was standing. That hadn't crossed my mind till now, though.

As for the rest, I appreciate your suggestions but I'm just going to let it be. The streets are indeed full of fascinating photo ops if you have the luck to stumble upon them. Rather than tweak this one more, I'm going to look for something new.

Cheers,
    edited May 11, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    I think maybe you've had enough coffee for now, Neil. :whew lol3.gif

Interesting that you thought of the MIB being gunned down...someone was shot and killed a few months ago just around the corner from where this guy was standing. That hadn't crossed my mind till now, though.

As for the rest, I appreciate your suggestions but I'm just going to let it be. The streets are indeed full of fascinating photo ops if you have the luck to stumble upon them. Rather than tweak this one more, I'm going to look for something new.

Cheers,

Well, Blowup is among my favorite movies, if you want to give it that kind of twist - you randomly snap the murderer at the scene, blow up the shot and spot the weapon in Limpieza's bin, deduce that he and she were working together, she scouting for him, and afterwards spiriting the evidence away in her cart along with the victim's body (it's not the MIB's body afterall) which is lying in a pool of blood (how Limpieza's street cleaner's thumbs are tingling) in the bottom of the end phone cubby... she is just heading for it, see?.... eek7.gif BUT GASP!! The getaway car has fiché le camp, the driver saw the hero Polizie turn into the street!... Great plot! A romance which ends sweetly for Limpieza and her hero Polizie (turns out she is a white slave sold by the Family, which the MIB is of course a member of, and which Polizie takes on in a final cataclysmic street battle)iloveyou.gif

Happy hunting, R. I look forward to the appearance of "Madrid Safari".

edited May 11, 2009
    What happens to the photographer who started the whole shebangbang, I hear you ask. He marries Estilista who works in the salon at the end of the alley! Nice?!:Dclap.gif

edited May 11, 2009
    The End :buttkiss

edited May 11, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    The End :buttkiss

After their first child is born, the photographer notices a gun in an enlargement of one of the baby pics. On closer inspection, the gun turns out to be a dust bunny, easily removed with the Copperhill method. The photographer, Estilista, Polizie and Limpieza all go play tennis doubles without a ball. Antonioni's scream of "merda" echoes from his grave.

blbl.gif
    edited May 11, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    After their first child is born, the photographer notices a gun in an enlargement of one of the baby pics. On closer inspection, the gun turns out to be a dust bunny, easily removed with the Copperhill method. The photographer, Estilista, Polizie and Limpieza all go play tennis doubles without a ball. Antonioni's scream of "merda" echoes from his grave.

blbl.gif

A SEQUEL!! clap.gifrofliloveyou.gifbarb