What the heck?

Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
edited May 4, 2009 in Cameras
Well today I was looking over the camera's at my folks for class and I've seen a rebel eos 1 something, I will have to take another look see for the exact model. Anyways there was a film in the camera and I was shooting with it.

And I got a lame brain idea about using the 430 speed lite flash on this eos 1 slr camera, which I was using at the the time and it worked,

So I got braver and took my 17-55 tamron lens off the camera and put it on the eos-1 camera and it worked very well? I'm saying wtf because I had 2 different saying they were not interchangible a camera pro and then a best buy guy, So what gives?

Comments

• Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    By the way it's a Eos Mark II slr camera.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 4, 2009
    Are you asking if the Tamron 17-50mm, f2.8 Di-II LD Aspherical is compatible with the Canon 1D MKII?

If that is the combination you tried then yes, the lens will fit the camera body and yes, you can take images with the combination.

You will probably get extreme vignetting from around 17mm through 25mm and then mostly the problem will be soft corners from around 25mm through 50mm. You should be able to pull a decent enough 8 x 10 crop from the center of the image, especially in the latter range I mentioned.

Fortunately, the Canon 1D MKII is a crop 1.3x imager, larger than the crop 1.6x Canon imagers but not full frame. That means that lenses designed for the 1.6x crop cameras, if they fit at all, will have fewer problems filling the frame than a full-frame dSLR or film SLR would have.

I have successfully mounted my Sigma 10-20mm, f4-f5.6 EX DC HSM on both a Canon 1D MKII and the 5D MKII. On the 1D MKII it will provide a decent 8 x 10 crop from around 13mm onwards and on the 5D MKII it is "fairly OK" from around 16mm to 20mm or so with the 8 x 10 crop. Nothing I would want to make enlargements of because the corners do suffer, but a snapshot or an occasional effect shot are OK.

Not a recommended setup to be sure.

Of course, the Canon EF-S lenses won't even mount on a Canon 1D/1Ds/5D body so that point is moot.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Are you asking if the Tamron 17-50mm, f2.8 Di-II LD Aspherical is compatible with the Canon 1D MKII?

If that is the combination you tried then yes, the lens will fit the camera body and yes, you can take images with the combination.

You will probably get extreme vignetting from around 17mm through 25mm and then mostly the problem will be soft corners from around 25mm through 50mm. You should be able to pull a decent enough 8 x 10 crop from the center of the image, especially in the latter range I mentioned.

Fortunately, the Canon 1D MKII is a crop 1.3x imager, larger than the crop 1.6x Canon imagers but not full frame. That means that lenses designed for the 1.6x crop cameras, if they fit at all, will have fewer problems filling the frame than a full-frame dSLR or film SLR would have.

I have successfully mounted my Sigma 10-20mm, f4-f5.6 EX DC HSM on both a Canon 1D MKII and the 5D MKII. On the 1D MKII it will provide a decent 8 x 10 crop from around 13mm onwards and on the 5D MKII it is "fairly OK" from around 16mm to 20mm or so with the 8 x 10 crop. Nothing I would want to make enlargements of because the corners do suffer, but a snapshot or an occasional effect shot are OK.

Not a recommended setup to be sure.

Of course, the Canon EF-S lenses won't even mount on a Canon 1D/1Ds/5D body so that point is moot.[/quoteI'm not sure about the numbers you thrown at me but I was wondering why it the tam lens would work on an slr camera that claims not to fit on the slr camera? even those its the same eos family?

Anyways the slr kit lens is a 17-80mm and it can fit on the d-slr weird eh?