Suggest upgrade from Nikon18-200 VR Lens

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited May 4, 2009 in Cameras
Hi Guys,

My Nikkor 18-200VR lens has served me well, but I have increasingly grown tired of its optical shortcomings. I had it repaired last summer (after 'tumbling' down the banks of the Merced River in Yosemite NP), but ever since I got it back something is off.

I'd like to get one lens that goes from 16-18MM-70-100ish MM. I am not interested in the Nikon 16-85MM VR lens. I have tried the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 lens and I was not impressed. I just want something that is sharper than what I have.

Please suggest. Tamron, Sigma, Nikon etc. Really want a 2.8 lens. I am very open to buying a used lens, so think of an oldie if its the best one out there with my requirements. Perhaps $400-700 max budget.
Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    perhaps the newish SIGMA 17-70 f2.8-4.5 .....that is my next lens purchase if I stay with a standard crop camera as I find my 24-70f2.8 still a tad on the long side......I hear of other people having had bad copies of different Sigma lenses but in all the years I have owned them I have never gotten a bad lens....they have all been tack sharp....

ebay search results .........................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    perhaps the newish SIGMA 17-70 f2.8-4.5 .....that is my next lens purchase if I stay with a standard crop camera as I find my 24-70f2.8 still a tad on the long side......I hear of other people having had bad copies of different Sigma lenses but in all the years I have owned them I have never gotten a bad lens....they have all been tack sharp....

ebay search results .........................

But really if you have never used lens X before, then how do you know you got a bad copy or its just a bad lens period?
    Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    net1994 wrote:
    But really if you have never used lens X before, then how do you know you got a bad copy or its just a bad lens period?

I trust all of my shooting to SIGMA and have for over 25+ yrs......not really sure what you mean by bad copy or bad lens.......if it is bad then that copy , that lens is bad...send it back.....I have sent back Minolta, Nikon, Yashica, Fuji, and Kiev Cameras due to a malfunction when first ordered....those were bad copies......but they were fixed....NO ONES quality assurance catches all the mistakes, no one......so every company in the world has bad copies of their product floating around.........

Are you defining "a bad lens period"...as the whole run of lenses were bad ..... seriously doubt that has ever happened..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    net1994 wrote:

I have tried the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 lens and I was not impressed.

What didn't you like about that lens? It's possibly the finest Nikon zoom lens ever made. I love mine!headscratch.gif
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    I have tried the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 lens and I was not impressed. I just want something that is sharper than what I have.

This is one of the finest lenses for Nikon out there (beats the pants off of Sigma by far). What did you not like about it or what problems did you run into?? It's possible you had a bad copy, although rare it has happened. It's really a magnificent lens and *incredibly* sharp.

How were you using it? setting? tripod? VR on or off? speed? etc? photos w/ exif data can give a lot of feedback from the smart folks here thumb.gif
    //Leah
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    I am adding my support for the 24-70mm nikkor. Its just a spot on terrific lens. You may have gotten a bad copy though I think that would be a rarity.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    The Nikkor 80-200 F2.8 is superb although a tad higher than you wanted to spend.

The Sigma 28-70mm F2.8 is a nice overall lens

The Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 is another nice overall lens
    Steve

Website