*ENTRY* Thread DSS #25: Foul or Fair

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited May 18, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #25

Welcome to Round #25 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, May 4, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5) to Monday, May 18, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Foul or Fair

Cinderella had her ugly stepsisters. The miller's daughter her Rumpelstiltskin. King Arthur his Mordred. Beowulf his Grendel. Many epic tales pit the fair against the foul, the unsullied against the sullied, and the best storytellers make you silently root for both. You, however, must choose only one. Which will it be, the beauty or the beast?

Your Judges:
sherstone (Winner of Round 21)
richtersl (Guest Judge)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a Smugmug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your exif will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications.

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Cinderella had her ugly stepsisters. The miller's daughter her Rumpelstiltskin. King Arthur his Mordred. Beowulf his Grendel. Many epic tales pit the fair against the foul, the unsullied against the sullied, and the best storytellers make you silently root for both. You, however, must choose only one. Which will it be, the beauty or the beast?

This should be fun! One question though (the stupid questions should come early!); Is this meant to mean that the shot should only include either "Foul or Fair?" or that only one should be the primary subject of the photo contrasted to the other.

I suspecting that you'll answer: It's up to the photographer! mwink.gif
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    This should be fun! One question though; Is this meant to mean that the shot should only include either "Foul or Fair?" or that only one should be the primary subject of the photo contrasted to the other.

Somewhere on these boards is a reply to this question from Shay Stephens that I can't find right now but which, to sum up, said:

"Photographers who try for both themes usually end up missing both."
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    MarkR wrote:

I love when participants make my presence unneeded. :D I've got nothing more to add. thumb.gif
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    MarkR wrote:

Been there, done that - failed miserably rolleyes1.gif
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    michswiss wrote:

It so hurts to create your own grammar errors on the internet. It should have read "I'm suspecting" or "I suspect". Gah! :flush
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Hmm.. Foul or Fair.... My mind goes to FAIR BALL!! or FOUL BALL!!! In many different arenas. How's that for interpretation!?
  • fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Where's Pemmet's chicken heads when you need them?? Can you send me a few in a box man? I'm sure by the time I can get them, they'll be pretty foul fowl :D
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    :lol4 rolleyes1.gif
    Where's Pemmet's chicken heads when you need them?? Can you send me a few in a box man? I'm sure by the time I can get them, they'll be pretty foul fowl :D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    This woman would win this contest hands down.
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009

not a chicken but...

535516717_qEKGh-M.jpg

NO Bird was beheaded for this photo, I promise! it was a bird banding and the bird was safely in the banders hand... it just looks terrible!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    Jwear, that is a riot rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    edited May 18, 2009
    This round is now closed. thumb.gif
    edited May 18, 2009
    One DQ this round: Dreamcometrue, your photo was taken outside the challenge dates. :cry