DSS #24 Emulation Image - Unofficial Feedback Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    ok
    I think we just got a spanking:bwg from Llywellyn

sorry bout that, point taken, small quotes..... biggrinbounce2.gifthanks..

Kat
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    For divamum and anyone else interested in a behind the scenes story...
    ...on the image I submitted for DSS #24. As I mentioned in the C&C thread, it had been taken at a French and Indian War re-enactment at Fort Frederick, MD. The gentleman was sitting on a bench inside the fort and I just snapped his picture. It was a totally candid pose -- he had no idea I took his photo. rolleyes1.gif

The processing I used is described here: http://lrichters.smugmug.com/gallery/8116727_ycfyz

As I mention in the link, I have no idea how the photographer processes his images. What I presented was my best guess.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    You're so sweet Kat - thanks for the lovely response. Yes, things do get crazy busy around here especially when I'm the road, although it's been awfully quiet in the last 6 months as opera companies bite the dust in the economic mess, most significantly my "home" company where I usually had a couple of contracts a season. The only "good" thing about the bankruptcy there is that the cancellation of my spring season meant I had loootttsss of time on my hands to dig into photography, which is kind of how I've wound up where I am at the moment! It's been tough, though, emotionally as well as financially - the arts are in big trouble and for ordinary working singers (ie those who are not already international stars), it's very scary times...

And (moving even further OT - sorry!) - happy birthday to my daughter who turns a terrifying 11 years old tomorrow!!!

As for the picture - glad my explanation shed some light on my choices! thumb.gif Thanks to everybody who has included mine in their faves - it was a very satisfying picture to create, if only because the original is such a wonderful inspiration!
    Thanks for taking the time to share that with us... It is so unique to see the journey you took in capturing the shot. I have to say I still maintain that I really favored the black and white version, but now with your explanation here, I see where you were coming from with the yellowish technique in trying to give it an era look. I love the right eye on the black and white and the skin tone. I am happy for you that you made the cut and wish you all the best. I just got around to reading your blog last night, I had not noticed the link before on your signature. You are one busy mamma.. rolleyes1.gifand a singing career must be exciting!!! I can relate to being that busy. I home school my kids and run small sales business and now I am trying to go pro in photography. I can tell your whole world revolves around your daughter. I am the same way with my sons... It can get crazy, but I would not trade it for the world...

Best of luck winning...

Kat
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    ...on the image I submitted for DSS #24. As I mentioned in the C&C thread, it had been taken at a French and Indian War re-enactment at Fort Frederick, MD. The gentleman was sitting on a bench inside the fort and I just snapped his picture. It was a totally candid pose -- he had no idea I took his photo. rolleyes1.gif

The processing I used is described here: http://lrichters.smugmug.com/gallery/8116727_ycfyz

As I mention in the link, I have no idea how the photographer processes his images. What I presented was my best guess.

Thanks Linda!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    A big thank you to everyone who chose Vicky as one of their top picks this round!

This was a very strong round and I am very impressed at how the group of photographers has grown in leaps and bounds. The quality overall seems to just get better and better!
  • Options
    cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    I'd also like to send a big thank you to those who picked my photo 'Reaching for Ron' in their top picks, to those who helped critique it in the forum but more importantly, to Ron Coscorrosa who has inspired me with his work and whose work one day I would truley love to emulate. Thanks Ron bowdown.gif
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com
  • Options
    DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Hey!! Good Job to everyone on their entries this round!! Some very high quality stuff coming out!! Im very excited naturally about my photo being among those that went on to the voting round! I have been very busy (Twins On The Way!) that I didn't get a chance to do much more than enter the photo into the gallery. So I will share my emulaiton here:

The photographers..yes more than one, that really inspired me to emulate their work for this theme was...a little mix of Cami Johnson and Joe McNally. As some may know she is known for her amazing dog portraiture and he of course for his diverse use of the small flash. I hope this clears up the story behind my photo a little for any who might have been wondering!! Once again awesome photographs from everyone!! And very fun to see all the differences in styles from all the great photographers from which we all pulled our inspiration for this round!
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Learning Suggestion
    Since this round we took inspiration from another photographer, perhaps it would be worthwhile if we could individually say who our inspiration was in this thread and post a link so that others could study the work. I think there have been bits and pieces but it might be worthwhile to put it in one place with a reference.

I was using Trey Ratliffe as an inspiration. He is a photographer who has contributed to the popularity in HDR photography. He has a blog with some beautiful examples along with links on the techniques he used to produce the photographs. That blog is found here...

Looking forward to seeing others inspiration.
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Good Point
    Well,,

Tom does make a good point; i suppose it helps people judging to know where you were coming from thumb.gif

I emulated Tony Sweet... He was my inspiration from the beginning and still remains so with his camera techniques and artwork.

Here is his website

http://www.tonysweet.com/

Kat
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    My inspiration was Hollywood Glamour in general, and George Hurrell specifically. He was a master of mood and light. Many of his images would have caused technical critiques, but the overall images work to create the style he became famous for.

Classic:
    http://www.photoinduced.com/wp-content/photos/sherilynfennbig.GIF

Uplighting is not typical for glamour, but here it works:
    http://www.seraphicpress.com/images/bearHarlow-.jpg

Flawless, spotlit, strong hair light and subject never looking directly at the camera:
    http://api.ning.com/files/S*rXtVZkoetCAAsaM*kYG7RnoVQO*6DHEzQezfsiZRGzLbUOJNWkbUFTOew8dDJZXtYJaalfutuIfTRXRlX7V1Cl1iy9*b9O/Norma_Shearer_George_Hurrell_114.jpg

These were the elements I wished to incorporate in my image along with the styling in this one:
    http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd290/DismantleMe90210/Marilyn-Monroe.jpg

I used both the skin smoothing techniques and black and white conversion from what is becoming my most referenced post processing book, "The Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelly.

As a really brief attempt at a set up explanation:
    One walk in closet draped in a black muslin to control all light
    Two household lamps (the desk type with bend-ability) with black contruction paper tubes taped to the end
    One set of false eyelashes, one deep red lipstick and Hollywood appropriate bling earrings
    Two friends (who wanted their kids photos taken for a bribe) to help hold lamps and mirrors (so I could see what I was doing)
    One remote control - yes, this is a self portrait and no, it really doesn't look like me. In fact, my own Dad asked who it was and then refused to believe it was me!

PP included skin smoothing, a crop, b & w conversion, eye white lightening and really not too much else. Here is the straight-out-of-the-camera version:
    528577400_2cRCs-S-1.jpg

Raw exposure adjusted, skin smoothed & cropped:
    528570830_pxjVY-S-1.jpg

I quite like the color, but B&W was what I was emulating, so I used my favorite high-contrast conversion for the final image:
    528571202_XxskU-S-1.jpg

That's about it. I am so humbled and thankful to be in the voting round. Such a good feeling to be among so many awesome photographers, especially after feeling out of the game for so long!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    That's about it. I am so humbled and thankful to be in the voting round. Such a good feeling to be among so many awesome photographers, especially after feeling out of the game for so long!

Very cool and a completely different type of courage to street shooting!
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    ... yes, this is a self portrait and no, it really doesn't look like me. In fact, my own Dad asked who it was and then refused to believe it was me!
    528571202_XxskU-S-1.jpg

OMG!!! That's you, Emily? :jawdrop It doesn't look much like your avatar pic at all. I hope your husband appreciates your Hollywood glamour girl look. mwink.gif The color version is also quite nice.

How did you know the lighting and the pose were correct without being able to see yourself? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Thanks Linda!! thumb.gif

You're quite welcome, my dear! :D
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    OMG!!! That's you, Emily? :jawdrop It doesn't look much like your avatar pic at all. I hope your husband appreciates your Hollywood glamour girl look. mwink.gif The color version is also quite nice.

How did you know the lighting and the pose were correct without being able to see yourself? headscratch.gif

Actually, my hubby has taken the color version to work to put up in his office. So yeah, I think he likes it. lol3.gif

As I mentioned, I had a friend who would hold a mirror in front of the camera while I messed with the lights and pose, then I'd have her move it away so I could take the shot.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    One set of false eyelashes, one deep red lipstick and Hollywood appropriate bling earrings

Ooo you get a 10 just for whipping out some falsies ^_^ I have tons of em but since I have the hardest time putting them on they just languish in my drawer.

And I envy you your walk-in closet - there's barely any room for me to turn around in mine.

Thanks so much for sharing your process. I learned something and your photograph is truly fantastic!
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    Actually, my hubby has taken the color version to work to put up in his office. So yeah, I think he likes it. lol3.gif

Awwww... that's adorable! Emily, thanks for posting your behind-the-scenes - it's such an AWESOME shot, and it's great to hear the how to! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    Emily, you've inspired me: I've been googling Hurrell all afternoon, and persuaded my hubby to treat me to this as a Mother's day present :D
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 7, 2009
    I chose Steven Hatch also known as Shatch. I have been a fan of his since coming to Dgrin and he has inspired alot of my work. I like the sense of perpective and more of a three dimentional look to alot of his work.

For my picture I chose my lil one for the picture as he used his children for his models alot of times. I stood on a deck looking down and had her throw a doll up...after about 20 shots and was having a hard time getting the doll in to the right angle I wanted. So I had my son hold the doll out as I took two pics. One with her in focus and one with the doll in focused.

I layered the to images together and removed the background where needed to isolate the sharp doll then merged them together.
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009

As I mentioned, I had a friend who would hold a mirror in front of the camera while I messed with the lights and pose, then I'd have her move it away so I could take the shot.
    Uh....can you do that to me? :D
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Why I chose to emulate who I did.
    When I first joined Dgrin/Smugmug early last year I looked through alot of the Mods' websites to see what they were shooting. I came across Andy's infrared images and was facinated with them. Up until that time I didn't even know that you could shoot infrared digitally. (Right away I was reminded that I still have alot to learn photographically.) This led me to the site of "The League of Infrared Photographers" which Andy is a part of. Whereas Andy's stuff is mostly monotone, which I love because I'm seriously into good black & white photographs, Joe Farace's images are color infrared. At the time I had an unconverted D70 and was having to use a filter and tripod and yada, yada, yada, making it not real user friendly for someone trying to learn a new skill photographically. About this time I started noticing Jeff Meyers' contest submissions and was urged to keep trying. After doing some research on getting my camera converted and a few PMs with Jeff I took the plunge and had my baby fixed. Which isn't a bad thing because I had to buy an unconverted replacement and am now a proud owner of a brand new D300 as well. So, after making a short story long, as a way of saying thank you for the encouragement I chose Joe and Jeff as examples of the talent that I would like to reach some day. And there you have it.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book