Options

Schlieren photography help please!

2»

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    This was a great thread to read through. Good luck with your project!
  • Options
    kalayzorkalayzor Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    I realize that this thread has been out for awhile, but I just got back into the project after break and have some results. What I ended up doing was directing the exhaust from a space heater through a pair of honeycomb flow straighteners (akin to those used in flash photography or in CPU cooling fans) and then onto a wing section that I had positioned in the middle of my Schlieren setup.

It's a really slow airflow, so it's not quite as exciting as it could be (I'm going back tonight with some fans to make it a bit better and more applicable to my project), but it still looks cool. The following image hasn't been played with much -- just a little messing with the contrast/midtones and complete desaturation -- but it's a neat thing. The wing is question has a dragonfly-style airfoil and is drooping a little, so the airflow is really only visible on the top. The large black region to either side is my mask to get rid of spherical abberation from my lenses. Enjoy, and thanks again for all the help!

Also, before anyone asks, my friend has the raw image on his D50's memory card...so I don't have it up for asking.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited October 9, 2009
    Kalayzor, that's a pretty good result. Congratulations and thanks for getting back to us. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums