I need a new computer!

reynazackphotographyreynazackphotography Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited May 7, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Hi,
I have a portrait photography business and I am ready to upgrade my computer.
I am set on buying a mac (with all due respect, please do not try to convince me to buy a PC) but am not sure the best mac to buy.
I work with photo shop and a canon digital rebel xsi.
Any accessories that I may need would be helpful too.

Thanks!
Reyna

Reyna Zack Photography
www.ReynaZackPhotography.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 4, 2009
    I moved this to the "Digital Darkroom Gear" where you can find other computer talk.

It might be helpful to discuss the volume of work you anticipate having to process. Portability is another attribute that you might consider.

If you want a better, more accurate screen preview of colors you may also need a screen calibration device.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Hi,
    I have a portrait photography business and I am ready to upgrade my computer.
    I am set on buying a mac (with all due respect, please do not try to convince me to buy a PC) but am not sure the best mac to buy.
    I work with photo shop and a canon digital rebel xsi.
    Any accessories that I may need would be helpful too.

Thanks!
    Reyna

Reyna Zack Photography
    www.ReynaZackPhotography.com

Computer and card reader should be all you need.

I'm personally not a fan of the iMac because I'm not a fan of AOIs in general, I'd much rather be able to use the screen of my choosing, but any in the lineup should work.

I have a Macbook Pro hooked up to an external monitor.

Depending on your load and your budget, you could even get away with a mini. Probably the biggest thing that will affect performance is the amount of RAM. Just remember, purchase the computer with the lowest amount that the retailer offers then purchase and install it on your own. It's a fairly easy job to accomplish and can save you a lot of money.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    On the other hand, I love my iMac. For similar money to the laptop, you get a very good, and for the 24", a very large monitor that rivals the top LCDs around (no, not EZIOs)

The iMac is plenty powerful, with dedicated graphics, plus firewire, good size harddrive. Sure it isnt portable, but you may not need portable. Plus you can add a second monitor just like with the laptop for perhaps showing proofs and screenshows to customers.

No matter what you do, check out the refurbished Macs on the Apple Store, i have had very good luck with them
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    I agree about the memory, get the minimum from apple and get additional from crucial.com. Its a snap to install. The minimum RAM you need if running photoshop, along with another program or two (lots of times I have photoshop, bridge, and lightroom open at the same time) is 2GB IMHO. I've been using the 24" iMac for about two years and love it. It shipped with 1GB RAM and I upgraded to 4GB which works well.
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    I picked up the 'basic' Macbook Pro in January at the $2000 price point. Plenty of power and storage for me at the moment. As chrismoore said, it is a snap to upgrade your RAM and even hard drive later if you need additional goodies thumb.gif