New Here

andyfphoto@aol.comandyfphoto@aol.com Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited June 8, 2005 in People
Hi, this is a pic of a local guy I did for a project on tattoos.
I'd be interested to hear opinions and really to see whether this works or not.

Andy

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    It definitely works. Wouldn't change a thing.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Hi Andy and welcome to our group. Glad to see that your sharing your work with us already.

I like the shot I think it worls well. I like the lighting effect of the ring light on portraits but I always get distracted by the round catch lights in the eyes.

You did a fine job thumb.gif
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Hi Andy wave.gif

welcome welcome. I like this shot very much.. very dramatic.thumb.gif
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Did you use a ring flash? Nice effect in the eyes, slightly shallow DOF IMO. But very sharp visually seen your web site, don't think you need any critique very sharp
  • Rufio220Rufio220 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Hi and welcome. Thats a way cool shot. I like it a lot. Do you have any other pictures like that of tatooed ppl?

Welcome and keep it up.thumb.gif
    ~Take it while it's there, cause tomorrow it will be gone~
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Welcome to Dgrin. Great first post. Would love to know how you got the rings in his eyes...
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Andy, welcome to dgrin! wave.gif Strong stuff, mate. I think it looks excellent.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Hi And Welcome Andy

Andy
    Your subject has great character ........his face tells a story, I look at it and wonder if this man has had an adventurous life rolleyes1.gif .

I like the way you've done this shot.........looks good, I'm sure they'd be very happy with the photo....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    clap.gifExcellent stuff! Welcome to Dgrin:D
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Hi welcome to Dgrin

Very dramatic shot.
    I however do not like the ring light in his eyes, to me just seems unatural, and I would have like more DOF.

As to my credentials, please see Sig below :D

Welcome again thumb.gif
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 7, 2005
    15524779-Ti.gif with Ben.

I like everything about this shot, including the high contrast, but those 2 light rings in the eyes are bothersome to me too ne_nau.gif

Welcome to Dgrin wave.gif and hope to see more of your pics in the future :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Nice job - and welcome!

Andy
    Considering the project was on tattoo, I'd increase the DOF.. Although I like the sharpness on the face..:-)

Nice shot and welcome aboard!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2005
    Hi Andy! Welcome to Dgrin!
    That pic is just awesome! It defenitely "works"!

Matty

Andy
  • SpicyKittieSpicyKittie Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 7, 2005
    WOW thats an AWESOME picture, great job!
  • andyfphoto@aol.comandyfphoto@aol.com Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 8, 2005
    Thanks Guys
    WOW thats an AWESOME picture, great job!
    All your comments are very much appreciated.
    It is very difficult to get honest critique from people you know or work with or clients - so all comments are taken on board.

I agree with the ring-flash comments, it can be distracting to some, but equally I think in some instances it helps to draw the viewer in.

With regards the DOF, yes, point taken there too. The project became more about the people than the tattoos, which whilst being an integral part of the person are somewhat like clothes, in that they could be covered up etc, whereas the eyes and face are always there and always the same.

This is a friend done with daylight - but same place, same camera and same lens. Oh, and he doesn't have any tattoos - though in reality he could be covered with them!!!
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005

I agree with the ring-flash comments, it can be distracting to some, but equally I think in some instances it helps to draw the viewer in.
    As soon as I saw your photograph, I wondered what the reaction to the ringflash catchlights would be. Needless to say, in just about the first two posts, there's a "hate them" and a "love them".

I've been thinking of making up a home made ringflash myself (maybe a project for this winter), so I have to say I think the donut catchlights do add something to the portrait.

Your tattoo man portrait is excellent. I like to use shallow depth of field with my portaits as well, so I like the effect you've created.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Another very dramatic shot clap.gif I love it.. I really like it when I open a picture and say "wow" outloud.. this was one clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005

This is a friend done with daylight - but same place, same camera and same lens. Oh, and he doesn't have any tattoos - though in reality he could be covered with them!!!
    Another super portrait, Andy. Magnetic eyes and a color tone and exposure that really tell a story. Great stuff!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au