Fire and Smoke - Controlled Burn

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited May 7, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Well this weekend we had another controlled burn, and as I was finishing up the engineer's training, I got to drive a truck instead of working. :D So between filling up the 45-pound Fedcos (big waterbags with squirtguns attached) and supplying hoselines, I snapped a few photos. I'll try to cull it down to the best, cause I shot a lot! The whole gallery is available here:
http://www.morffed.com/gallery/8088969_rdNbb

I'll kick things off with some fire! :D
527121049_aVvfq-L.jpg

A crew on a brush truck from Willow keeps an eye on the flanks of the fire.
527125849_EhrHy-L.jpg

The drip torch operator goes back for another pass with the holding crew standing by.
527135950_iczHD-L.jpg

The Alaska Division of Forestry came for the fun, and brought their air support with them.
527136567_EiPFg-L.jpg

Smugmug is having difficulties right now, so I'm gonna cut this post off here, and post more later. Stay tuned! :D
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    The DOF Tanker swung in for a few retardant drops, which are always impressive to watch.
    527139421_mU8ue-L.jpg

Crews secure the edge of the burn to keep it from getting into other fields.
    527146899_G6vU4-L.jpg

Smoke builds as we finish up a field and drop over a bluff to burn a hillside below.
    527149436_erscc-L.jpg

These guys get to do all the hard work keeping things under control.
    527151174_YhGbx-L.jpg

Of course for us at the top of the hill, the burning going on below produces some unpleasantness in the form of hot smoke rolling all around us. How are you supposed to find and extinguish spot fires in these conditions? ne_nau.gif
    527156186_atGKx-L.jpg

So that's the highlights of our controlled burn. It was a long day, but we got to see a bit of fire and have some fun. Hope you all enjoy the pictures! :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Hi coldclimb..... When I saw the first picture it didn't look like it was very controlled.
    Nice set of pictures thanks for sharing....thumb.gif....azzaro
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Neat set. Nice work as usual. :Dthumb.gif
    Michael
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Thanks guys! Azzaro: yeah we got some decent flamelengths. :D We burned in strips so each burn was about twenty feet by the width of the field, and in the middle of each strip it got nice and hot! The edges were pre-burned and had crews standing by in case. thumb.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Cool series. Good work! thumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers