Options

Baseball photo with business question

zack75144zack75144 Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
edited May 6, 2009 in Sports
I apologize that this is not on topic, but I wanted the input of sports shooters.

I'm considering having a 99 cent download gallery for players to buy small jpegs for Facebook and My space. I thought I would also email these versions with any print sale.

What has your experience been with this?
What size would you use?

My concern is that the customer will buy the cheap digital and try to print from it rather than buy the prints or full sized jpegs. With that in mind I've thought to make the cheap ones no more than say 500 pixels long fairly heavily compressed.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this as I have learned a lot from you guys over the last year.

Here is a photo from this weekend CC welcomed,
Thanks!

527519393_aiGQP-L-1.jpg
Zack www.zackjonesphotography.net
EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.

Comments

• Options
    JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    At first glance I was like; "Man, why didn't I think of that!" Then I started thinking about it: your target audience would more than likely have to be high school or above. I don't know too many little league players that will have a MySpace or Facebook account. And the problem with the high school audience is if they are playing sports, chances are they aren't working. I know $.99 isn't a lot but have you seen some of the albums these kids have...lol

Something to think about.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    At first glance I was like; "Man, why didn't I think of that!" Then I started thinking about it: your target audience would more than likely have to be high school or above. I don't know too many little league players that will have a MySpace or Facebook account. And the problem with the high school audience is if they are playing sports, chances are they aren't working. I know $.99 isn't a lot but have you seen some of the albums these kids have...lol

Something to think about.
    are you serious? there are thousands that do
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Thousands would be a bit on the low side... anyway, I took interest in this thread since I recently started a Facebook and a MySpace page for my website. When looking through other's profiles so I could add them as friends, I was amazed ( I shouldn't be ) at the amount of people who "grabbed" or captured screen shots, of photos that clearly and prominently had watermarks all over them and posted them on their profiles. I even saw one person who used "stolen" or "snagged" photos on a business website! I would still like to know about the sizing and others ideas just as the OP had stated.....
  • Options
    JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    The Mack wrote:
    are you serious? there are thousands that do

Maybe I just know some really strict parents ne_nau.gif:D
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX