Sad song

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited May 7, 2009 in People
While trying to make this photo a bit more interesting, my first attempt to shoot against some black velvet I rigged up and then natural light took a hike :( this song came into my head, a bit sad and melancholy ( did I come close to spelling that right??) Did anyone else watch Katerina Witt skate to this some years ago as a tribute? I was around when the song first came out but her performance was very compelling and made it new again.

526466280_kGJ5m-L.jpg
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    I like this image and processing. Don't recall the song, however..

I saw what you wrote on the picture, and the only song
    can think of "Where have all the cowboys gone...." :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    I really like the processing technique you have there...

As to "where have all the flowers gone" ...I thought it was where have all the soldiers gone...but I looked it up and both are correct as it is a line out of the song...essentially an anti war song written years ago.. all the flowers were for the graves of the soldiers and that's where those had gone to......of course in your photo it imply's pretty little girls have plucked them all!!!Laughing.gif
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Know the song,,,,, the skater,,,, and adore the photo.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    While trying to make this photo a bit more interesting, my first attempt to shoot against some black velvet I rigged up and then natural light took a hike :( this song came into my head, a bit sad and melancholy ( did I come close to spelling that right??) Did anyone else watch Katerina Witt skate to this some years ago as a tribute? I was around when the song first came out but her performance was very compelling and made it new again.

I suppose different people will react differently, but I'm of an age where I remember when this song first came out. Pete Seeger wrote it as a lament to death. They were not the first to record it, but the Kingston Trio made it a well-known song. Many other artists covered it, including Joan Baez with a version in German. Just about every folk group included on their albums in the 60s.

To me, it's a sad song that speaks to missing the dead (the flowers). I would not use it in connection with a child unless it was a tribute to a
    child lost to death.

You have to be a bit careful in using song, poem, and book titles when there are people who make very distinct associations to the reference.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    I'm also of a certain age. I think it was an antiwar song. "Gone for soldiers every one", "When will they ever learn. When will they ever learn."

It does have a part about "Young girls picked them, every one" early in the song, but it turns out these young girls have "taken husbands every one," so I suppose they are older than this girl.

OK, so it's an antiwar song, sad, but also angry. Does it fit this image?

On the other hand the image is nice without the words. I don't like the harsh magenta color. Better in B&W than bad color? Probably. You could use some different words if you to see words there. Let's see,
    Blakes "Ah, Sunflower?" Maybe not really, it's about mortality and I don't think the association with a child works. Google for "sunflower", "sunflower sad song", &etc, and I'm sure you'll find something.
    If not now, when?
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Looks pretty good to me in B&W without the lyrics.

528933241_AciGA-O.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    I'm also of a certain age. I think it was an antiwar song. "Gone for soldiers every one", "When will they ever learn. When will they ever learn."

It does have a part about "Young girls picked them, every one" early in the song, but it turns out these young girls have "taken husbands every one," so I suppose they are older than this girl.

OK, so it's an antiwar song, sad, but also angry. Does it fit this image?
    Oh, yeah. Seeger was - and still is - an anti-war activist, and the deaths he laments are the deaths due to war. Most of Seeger's output is a protest at something. His daughter, Peggy, continues in that mold. Her late husband, Ewan MacColl, also did that pretty well.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    I agree it does look better in BW!
    Yes, the song and child don't really match, that song just popped into my head and would not leave, you know how that can be.
    I am glad most liked the image , I wasn't too sure about it. It really helped to have a fresh perspective from others, Thanks to all!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    I prefer the color version vs. the b/w...I'm assuming you just desaturate the original, but I like your version better. I guess it's just personal preference.. If you want to replace the quote how about "Little Girls are Heaven's Flowers".
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/