Options

Bay Photo vs EZ Prints Shipping

OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
edited May 5, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi there,

I'm in the process of redoing all my prices in smugmug. Of course the big question is Bay or EZ. I won't go into details, but I am leaning towards Bay cause:
- I like the funky print sizes ---- oh yeah panorama!
- I like the canvas options
- I like the hand-touched color correction (I still don't trust I know how to color correct my MacBook...)

Anyways, my questions is this:
I live in Canada and shipping can be a real pain (cost, borders, and time...) I can't really control the border or how long things take, but I can control the cost.

I have heard that Bay is more expense to ship....but by how much? 10%, 50%, double?

A rough idea would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan
Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]

Comments

• Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Oakley wrote:
    I have heard that Bay is more expense to ship....but by how much? 10%, 50%, double?

A rough idea would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

You can see the details on the shipping help page: http://www.smugmug.com/prints/shipping.mg

Some key differences:
    • the fixed base shipping costs are slightly higher for Bay.
    • the variable cost based on how many items are in the order are consistent.
    • the variable cost based on how large the largest item in the order is is slightly higher.

So for any given order you should be able to estimate the change in shipping fees... add a few bucks depending on which method you picked, add a few bucks based on how big the contents are. Worst case, you ordered ON and included something larger than 30"... that would add $6 for US shipping, multiply by 1.5 for Canadian shipping and you're talking at most US$9 more to ship from Bay than from EZPrints.

The big difference really will be the carrier... Bay ships via UPS, EZPrints via FedEx. Up to you to decide which you would rather deal with. (I'm going to assume you don't bother with the super cheap shipping option via the post office. ;) )
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Also see Bay's packaging :D
  • Options
    OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Also see Bay's packaging :D

Do you mean their "flat" packaging?
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]