"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited May 5, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Public Release Candidate is here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

Have you installed it? My daughter is getting a new machine next week, and I am tempted to just skip Vista from day one, but I'd like to hear some feedback on real world 7.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Have you installed it? My daughter is getting a new machine next week, and I am tempted to just skip Vista from day one, but I'd like to hear some feedback on real world 7.
    I did, last night. Couldn't wait, and sleep is overrated anyway. rolleyes1.gif

For the record - I hate Vista.
    Now: I *love* W7 deal.gif
    • super fast (well, I got a decent laptop wtih quad core CPU and solid state drives mwink.gif )
    • very nice UI (which not only doesn't get in your way, but - gulp - actually is helpful eek7.gif )
    • At this point I only played less than an hour with it, but I'm really eager to continue tonight.
    I'll report findings later.
  • Options
    bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Just make sure you're ready to purchase by March 1, 2010...
    Watch the calendar. The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you’ll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You’ll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use.

wouldn't be microsoft without some sort of thorn to go with the rose...I don't think it's going to keep me from installing it though. Just funny...bi-hourly shutdowns, I can see the madness ensuing now!
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2009
    Just funny...bi-hourly shutdowns, I can see the madness ensuing now!

Sounds like fully licensed Win95 lol3.gif
  • Options
    bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Or windows ME....:giggle
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2009
    Just make sure you're ready to purchase by March 1, 2010...
    IMHO 9 months we got till March 2010 is more than enough for any free preview type of deal. deal.gif
    And no serious software house would like the beta versions lying around eternally. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    Update: installed all the Dell drivers, some dvd software, and finally, PS CS4. To my surprise, installer already included 64-bit version, so I finally got 64-bit PS CS4 Extended installed (and updated too).
    So far - so good.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    I am just sad that I am having hard time finding my RAID and sound card drivers for win7. Or maybe I am not looking hard enough.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    I am just sad that I am having hard time finding my RAID and sound card drivers for win7. Or maybe I am not looking hard enough.
    Everything from Vista should do - just fyi...
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    Well.. they were from the XP era!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    Well.. they were from the XP era!
    Yeah... those wouldn't work... ne_nau.gif
    However, I had a feeling that most of the hardware manufacturers finally caught up with the vista drivers.. No? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    Well maybe they did now. I haven't checked lately. I found out that my creative xfi supports win 7 public test, but I don't know about my motherboard's RAID drivers.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    Well maybe they did now. I haven't checked lately. I found out that my creative xfi supports win 7 public test, but I don't know about my motherboard's RAID drivers.
    I guess it depends on who made it and who sold it..:-)
    The reason I like Dell a lot is that they have very thorough support system. They track your hardware and software (that is, if you let them:-)and always show you the latest stuff for it...
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2009
    My daughter's new machine arrived yesterday and today we installed 7 Ultimate 64 bit. The machine came with no OS installed. The only problem we had was locating a paper clip to open the optical drive before booting--we just don't seem to need them anymore. :D Anyway, the installation was silky smooth. It found all the hardware and had all the needed drivers. First impressions are positive. It feels polished and solid, but she hasn't done much with it yet.

FWIW.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    My daughter's new machine arrived yesterday and today we installed 7 Ultimate 64 bit. The machine came with no OS installed. The only problem we had was locating a paper clip to open the optical drive before booting--we just don't seem to need them anymore. :D Anyway, the installation was silky smooth. It found all the hardware and had all the needed drivers. First impressions are positive. It feels polished and solid, but she hasn't done much with it yet.

FWIW.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Windows 7 RC1 has been running really well on my Macbook Air for several weeks now. It's the only OS on the computer these days so it had better run well! :) (And it does)