Jeremy

kwaichikwaichi Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited May 5, 2009 in People
my buddy jeremy asked me to do a few portfolio shots for him. He's going to use one or two of these photos for a horror movie casting. All the photos were done with a one light setup. c & c are welcome :thumb

528478548_o8Jju-L.jpg

528478144_DHtNb-L.jpg

528476881_xLZfi-L.jpg

528476439_3uqJR-L.jpg

Comments

• PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    I like #1 & #3 the best.

Take Care,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    For headshots, make sure they're 8x10 (I think you've already done that).

In general, casting shots/headshots need tons of eye pop and contact to make the character of the performer jump off the page. You've got some good poses here and he's projecting great intensity (which is good in this context), but the only one that's really working the eyes is the first one, and I'm not sure if he can get away with using a one-eyed shot like that unless it's part of a comp card/multiple photo submission. And actually, on second-glance, even in that one his eye isn't fully engaged with the camera, but looking about it. It's a neat shot, though!!!

I like the light and his expression best in number 4, but the pose doesn't work for me, so I guess of these, the best all-purpose shot is probably #3. That said, a lot of people may find the folded arms pose off-putting but perhaps in the context of horror-style casting, it might be a good look as it is a bit aggressive and threatening, which would be the right kind of character for him to project on paper. It also shows his physique clearly which is good for movie casting, and, most important, there's better eye contact.

Can you work on boosting the eyes and contrast in PP? Even better, is there a way to reshoot these with a little more fill-light (reflector closer or bigger or brighter?) and eyesparkle? I like the drama of the lighting, I just want to see more of his face... which I think the casting pundits will too :D

I think he's got something really good going on and you're definitely on the right track with these, I'm just not sure that they will grab a casting director enough in the 3-5 seconds they look at it among the hundreds of other submissions. Seems to me he has the look and the intensity and with just a few adjustments you can make these go from "good" to "wow"!

Hope that helps.
  • kwaichikwaichi Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Thanks Charles
    I like #1 & #3 the best.

Take Care,
    Charles
  • kwaichikwaichi Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Thanks Divamum.

Yeah I already adjusted all of them to 8x10. These photos are the one he liked the most and I do have other ones with a full head shot and clear on both sides......such as.......

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Of this second batch, #3 iis best IMO - much sparklier eyes with those nice catchlights. In the first one his eyes vanish, and in the second the light falloff behind draws my eye away from his face.