Options

Soccer Pics from Saturday

GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
edited May 11, 2009 in Sports
These were all shot on Saturday using a Canon XSi with 70-200mm (non-IS) and a 1.4 extender at f/4.0. Some were Manual mode and some AV. Basically on each shot and the whole bunch I crop and USM with an occasional clone out of signs, cones, trash cans, etc...

Here is one from each league that I was able to get. Please let me know what you think of the post processing and final results. I realize the action is not the greatest as it is a rec league and I am still working on timing the action. My main goal is to get a quality print for the kids and their parents.

Thanks,
Andy

527661389_UQL2A-L.jpg

529390224_ebZBZ-L.jpg

529391944_La5gF-L.jpg

529009449_a6rsZ-L.jpg

528776168_MHBaC-L.jpg

529002678_36eWE-L.jpg
Andy
http://andygriffinphoto.com/
http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135

Comments

• Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Way up there on the cuteness factor! Nice pics, well exposed!
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    tjk60 wrote:
    Way up there on the cuteness factor! Nice pics, well exposed!
    Thanks Tim for the comments. Exposure is one thing I am trying hard to real focus on.
    Andy
  • Options
    b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Great Shots. I like to break the rules and try to get the back side of the action as well. With me coaching a select soccer team, I am limited to the sidelines. Here is one of my favorite shots from a tournament, Derby Cup 2009 in Louisville, KY on 4/25/09. Our team went 4-0 with 22 goals scored, and zero allowed. I coach a U9 girls team.

528563207_nQTWF-L-1.jpg

528532856_JV5Uf-L-1.jpg
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • Options
    JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Nice pics for sure.

I would delete the second pic since the camera backfocused on the second kid in line and made the first kid kicking the ball out of focus, crop the last one tighter and lighten the shadows and your good to go..

Look forward to seeing more..

Joe
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    BO8 - Thanks and I like those shots. It is a neat perspective to see the whole scene with the ball going into the net. I've done a little of that but need to do it more often.

Joel - Thanks for the comments and advice.. I agree that the second one is not very sharp. I should and think I will delete it from the print gallery (not this display gallery - but leave it for educational purposes). About the cropping on the last one - I cropped it at 4x6 and left a little space on the sides of the hands. Are you recommending I crop more off the top and bottom? If I did, I agree the picture would improve but wouldn't that make for an unusable print at 4x6 or 5x7? I have been trying to decide what would be the best size to crop for posting in advance of print orders. I have been going with 4x6 and leaving a little space on top and bottom for the 5x7 crop but tonight I did a JV Girls soccer match and cropped them all to 5x7 and left a little room on the sides for the 4x6 crop? What do you recommend?

Thanks,
    Andy
    Andy
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Gringriff: Nice job, you got the main points of what makes a good sports photographer down. Nice and close, clean backgrounds (or you cropped them out like you said), facing forward action, and you seem to have a pretty good nack of getting peak action!!!

People that those have those 4 points down will do better than some of these sports photographers you will find at tournaments (I was going to say youth sports, but they come and do my adult tournaments as well!) I wish they would just do these 4 simple things, then I would buy tons of photos!!!

Bo8rsa: while generally backsides do not make a good photo, I think the one you posted of the goalie is a an excellent example of when to not follow that rule. The main point of that action is the goalie and her save, the only bummer is she is not the point that is tack sharp in that photo, and I would also crop it tighter to get ride of more of the distracting background ( I know sometimes are big tournaments there is little you can do about the background with the fields back to back). But otherwise a very good example.

The reason why I always stress shooting faces, is alot of people just track their little bundle of joy and shoot away at the backside of number 7. It is their kid, they love their kid, so there for they love the photos (we all do it, we were there when we took the photo, so we often as photographers fall in love with a photo, that in reality is only so so). Just keeping in mind shooting faces, you get better photos, and an increased opportunity to shoot the highs and lows of sports as expressed on photos.

wow, i am wordy.
  • Options
    b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Thanks for all for the advise. In the second pic of mine, acutally the second girl in the middle black actually shot the ball. But you all give me great advice on what to look for .

Ron A.
    b08
    wings.gif
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • Options
    JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    Andy,

I would crop the last one about the same on the top and bottom as you did the sides.

Most printers/software will let you to zoom in or out for a certain size frame allowing for enough space around the image.

Cropping is really a matter of personal preference, some people like images shot horizontal that are wide and have lots of space around the action.
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    JoeL wrote:
    Cropping is really a matter of personal preference, some people like images shot horizontal that are wide and have lots of space around the action.

That is a good point, it all depends on who and what the end user is. Most of my stuff is cropped tight. The only time it is loose is if I am trying to show a sense of place. I also shoot for some DI schools and local sport magazines and that is what they are looking for, so that maybe influencing my cropping philosophy.