Seniors, kids, models & trains :)

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited May 8, 2009 in People
Hi gang.....I haven't been around much lately as there is lots of work to be done. Will be back more frequently soon...sorry for the intrusion again. Thought to share some different stuff from the last couple weeks...still not done editing around here.......but hey, it's fun :D Yes...still have to make a new watermark for this year....so far behind.

In no particular order...just some stuff:

524280103_9T45P-L.jpg

528743235_sbKHK-L.jpg

529092304_PQfT3-L.jpg

529456745_8Bwau-XL.jpg

529457748_ydCSe-L.jpg

529458487_5o5R5-XL.jpg

529455949_oorjH-XL.jpg

519814672_uPNN3-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking :lust
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Someone was busy with PS:-) mwink.gif
    Nice work! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Really nice work Dave thumb.gif
    Randy
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Thanks Nik & Randy. Getting caught up with post work certainly is a challenge mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    I really like the stylization in the train project--color, lighting and poses are working well together to convey a cool, vintage theme.

The composites of the kids are a creative alternative to straight up portraits--less formal, more engaging. How have the kids' parents reacted to these?
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    I love the train series.

Great work!!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 6, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    I love the train series.

Great work!!

15524779-Ti.gif Especially #4. clap.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Yup #4 is pretty amazing...

#2... incredible hair. So beautiful!

The gal in #7 and #5 needs to take a happy pill... She has that "who the heck are you?" look or "there is something crawling into his ear" in #7 and #5 looks like her tummy hurts. Very funny! The pose though is spot on.... Love that look.

Jealous of your old trains.

Nice to see you around! Don't get too busy to hang out!
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Some wonderful shtuff here.
  • TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Great work. I love the train shots. I'm still in the early learning stages of lighting and PP. Can you explain to me how you achieve that muted/dark tone of those shots? How much is done in camera and what is done PP? It's a look that really intrigues me, but to this point escapes my comprehension. Thanks.

TJ
    edited May 7, 2009
    Halite wrote:
    I really like the stylization in the train project--color, lighting and poses are working well together to convey a cool, vintage theme.

The composites of the kids are a creative alternative to straight up portraits--less formal, more engaging. How have the kids' parents reacted to these?

Thanks Halite. The composites...parents and kids love them. Rather than do something in the current trend as far as desaturation, vinettes, grunge overlays, I thought cleaner versions would look more appealing. Guess I get tired of brown images...Laughing.gif.

The train shoot was quite fun and played with lighting scenarios :)
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited May 7, 2009
    Thanks Mitchell & Richard...that of course is my "Ooooh Baby" from that shoot. What I love about it is that the execution took place from conception..and we all know that doesn't happen too often :D
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited May 7, 2009
    Yup #4 is pretty amazing...

#2... incredible hair. So beautiful!

The gal in #7 and #5 needs to take a happy pill... She has that "who the heck are you?" look or "there is something crawling into his ear" in #7 and #5 looks like her tummy hurts. Very funny! The pose though is spot on.... Love that look.

Jealous of your old trains.

Nice to see you around! Don't get too busy to hang out!

Heheh...thanks Fred! No..no happy pill...this was about mood/period set. Pull up some old Hollywood movies..hehehe. Our make up artists are really masters at that vintage hair styling. It's amazing to watch the transformations as they get the ladies prep'd.

Thanks so much...I will try to hang out a bit more..just so much going on..and hey..we have some nice weather so I'm outside quite a bit.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited May 7, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Some wonderful shtuff here.

Thanks D'Buggs...appreciate your comment :D
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited May 7, 2009
    Great work. I love the train shots. I'm still in the early learning stages of lighting and PP. Can you explain to me how you achieve that muted/dark tone of those shots? How much is done in camera and what is done PP? It's a look that really intrigues me, but to this point escapes my comprehension. Thanks.

TJ

TJ....the muted dark tone is post processing work. The lighting of course is in camera. To accentuate the highlights and shadows there are numerous ways to skin a cat in PS but dodge and burn, contrast, sharpening, vibrance, selections, layers and masks achieve the look. It would take an entire tutorial to show/explain how this was done and some things wouldn't be applicable on another image. I've found that there really aren't any formulas to achieve a particular look because each image is different..yes you can do the same things with each image as a base but each has it's own individual attention.

A few images have skin smoothing/blemish removal, desaturation and the like. The PS learning curve takes time.....and dedication. I too look long and hard at images wondering, "How did they do that?" :D Watch tutorials, read, and immerse yourself in PS and it will come. Thanks!
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Thanks Swartzy. I kind of figured it would take a book to explain, so I didn't expect a full tutorial. I only have PSE 7 (PSE 5 before that) so I may be somewhat limited on what I can learn and achieve anyway. Someday though rolleyes1.gif ...
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    These are all very nice.
    Looks like you are having fun with some creative processing.
    Nice lighting.
    Love the contrasts in the guy with the dark hat.
    edited May 8, 2009
    Hey Dave,

Would you mind telling about your lighting setup on this pic?

Did you use a snoot on the kicker, to keep it out of the background shadows?

Thanks
    Swartzy wrote:

529456745_8Bwau-XL.jpg
    Randy
    edited May 8, 2009
    You bet Randy. The light to CL was actually inside the train car with enough light spill to illuminate the upper part of the subjects face...slightly. Just set up a 580 inside and laid it on a table in there for it to bounce around so some light would come through the window. Had to adjust it 3-4 times for the right power but was pretty easy. On CR, an umbrella was hand held with another 580 set at, if I remember correctly) 1/4 power. Did some shots with it higher but had the assistant lower it for a more direct beam..but still allowing softness (hence shooting through the umbrella rather than bounce). The concept was to duplicate that of a street light..then in post of course, there was much more to do achieving this look...but out of camera, I knew it was THE shot of the day. :D
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited May 8, 2009
    zoomer wrote:
    These are all very nice.
    Looks like you are having fun with some creative processing.
    Nice lighting.
    Love the contrasts in the guy with the dark hat.

Thanks Zoomer! Yes, I am having fun....love creating, love processing..and yes, I'm a sick man..Laughing.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited May 8, 2009
    Thanks Dave, very nice of you to share...

That's a great photograph thumb.gif

Swartzy wrote:
    You bet Randy. The light to CL was actually inside the train car with enough light spill to illuminate the upper part of the subjects face...slightly. Just set up a 580 inside and laid it on a table in there for it to bounce around so some light would come through the window. Had to adjust it 3-4 times for the right power but was pretty easy. On CR, an umbrella was hand held with another 580 set at, if I remember correctly) 1/4 power. Did some shots with it higher but had the assistant lower it for a more direct beam..but still allowing softness (hence shooting through the umbrella rather than bounce). The concept was to duplicate that of a street light..then in post of course, there was much more to do achieving this look...but out of camera, I knew it was THE shot of the day. :D
    Randy