My First Macros-- Need CC

KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
edited May 12, 2009 in Holy Macro
Hey everyone.. New to the Macro Forum.. I love shooting Macro, although I am not set up to do it. I don't have any fancy equipment or macro lenses.. I am shooting with a canon rebel xti kit lens 18- 55mm.. on board flash for now is all I have, and this is how I shoot everything until the day I can afford more.... either way, I figured I could learn the basics now and then when I do get the macro equipment, it will be that much easier.

My main focus in photography will be art type prints, eventually.. the kind that look similar to paintings with effects added etc,.. and I need to master macro type shots to pull it off. I have thick skin and want to learn, so please be honest on the C and C...

These are some attempts at macro.. I have not done many, but here is what I have..

Thanks
Kat

529432541_nUoB4-XL.jpg

500288475_VF8W9-XL.jpg

500288418_oA5Pr-XL.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Welcome to the forum Kat :)
    Good series of shots, lovely compositions in all of them.
    Like #1 best
    Assume #2 is a crop ? - just looks a bit noisy.
    Not sure what you were trying to do with #3 but it looks like an old mystery beast seen in woods shot :)

Brian V.
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    The Mystery Beast
    Thanks Brian... had to laugh and then think about what you meant, and then it really hit me and I was really laughing...rolleyes1.gif
    He does have that look of "The Swamp Thing" ha..lol

no, this is a bee I named Goliath.. I chased him around all day in my peach trees.. he was one of the largest bumbles bees I have ever seen. Yes, I messed up on #2, but it was not so much of a crop as it was my new CS3 learning curve on levels, highlights, and curves tool; I blew it out too much.

The mystery beast shot is where he turned to warn me to back off with the lens.. I think I finally got on his nerves.. he buzzed me after that.. I have to be careful being so allergic to stings... It amazes me that these little guys have so much personality of their own. I guess you don't realize it until your on their level..

Thanks for the comments and the humor..Kat
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited May 6, 2009
    edited May 6, 2009
    Thank You
    Thanks Phil.. I appreciate the comment..

Kat
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Hey everyone.. New to the Macro Forum.. I love shooting Macro, although I am not set up to do it. I don't have any fancy equipment or macro lenses.. I am shooting with a canon rebel xti kit lens 18- 55mm.. on board flash for now is all I have, and this is how I shoot everything until the day I can afford more.... either way, I figured I could learn the basics now and then when I do get the macro equipment, it will be that much easier.

My main focus in photography will be art type prints, eventually.. the kind that look similar to paintings with effects added etc,.. and I need to master macro type shots to pull it off. I have thick skin and want to learn, so please be honest on the C and C...

These are some attempts at macro.. I have not done many, but here is what I have..

Thanks
    Kat

Hi Kat, and welcome to the Dgrin forum clap.gif
    Your off to a great start, I love the IRIS shot.

Keep shooting, the learning curve is a lot of fun, and rewarding. thumb.gif

.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited May 12, 2009
    Hey
    Thanks for the welcome...Skippy.. and the comments on the iris..

The bee shots were my first and they were hand held so had to use photoshop to rescue them some...

Super busy with the energy contest entry right now, but once I get that finished, I will post some more Macro here.. Look forward to more C&C here from you guys... and to learning...and looking at your submissions. clap.gif

Have a Great Day,

Kat
  • Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Katmitchell, Your first 2 photo's are stunning, But your third one lacks your skills you've shown in the first 2.

I'm not trying to be rude or mean but it looks too me you didn't have heart in the last photo as you did in the first 2 "my 2 cents"