Natural storm shelter

CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited May 9, 2009 in Landscapes
Now I'm a little nervous about sharing this: it's a CAVE I've known about for over 10 years now. But I'll share this, and other images. I'll only tell you that it overlooks the Verde River.

Wherever there are limestone cliffs (especially along rivers and such), sooner or later some caves will be found.

This one is one of the larger ones, and you could easily cram 50 people in this if suddenly caught by one of our wonderful Arizona monsoon storms we get in the summer.

Not that 50 people should EVER be found here; though the cave is big enough, the ledge--with that 80-foot drop into the drink--I wouldn't try for that many :nah

Comments

• CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    That cave, further in
    Now mind you, no pottery's been found.

No beer bottles, either (thank God)!!!
    edited May 6, 2009
    No pottery, just leftovers
    Did ya notice the old soot buildup on the cave ceiling? Corn typically tastes better roasted than raw.

But what do I know?
    edited May 6, 2009
    Looking out from in the cave
    I wasn't EVEN gonna mess with exposure bracketting here. Just learn to like it!
    edited May 6, 2009
    A little further out, from in
    Try this view now.

No like?
    edited May 6, 2009
    A view from the mouth of the cave
    "Mouth" of the cave. Like it's gonna eat ya or something :heh
  • Captured ExposureCaptured Exposure Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Hi Corehead,

Some nice photo's that spot definately has some potential. I think it would be nice with the sun going down or up using the cafe mouth as a frame.

I like the framed shots the best.:D
    edited May 9, 2009
    Well, there, the sun was actually going down but, in this area, you'll never actually see a sunset per se, due to Mingus Mountain always blocking it.
    A sunrise might work better, but I'll have to wait for winter as I have to contend with hills the rest of the season.

But you just wait until the monsoon season arrives (July-Sept). The storms that build up over Mingus Mtn and then slide down into the Verde Valley are top notch!

Thanks for looking/commenting :gone
    Hi Corehead,

Some nice photo's that spot definately has some potential. I think it would be nice with the sun going down or up using the cafe mouth as a frame.

I like the framed shots the best.:D