The Twins... Maternity Shot

DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
edited September 8, 2009 in People
Here's a shot I did. She is 16 weeks with Twins!

527454312_R5ugw-L.jpg

And at 29 weeks... These two beautiful little boys came 11 weeks early.. Meet Wyatt & Riley!

637876486_KzR8Y-M.jpg<br>
626561796_HKaKR-M-1.jpg

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Beautiful - I really like the light - nice!. Straighten the horizon and crop it a touch from the top (to remove the distracting right arm) and I think you have a real winner.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 6, 2009
    Beautiful shot! Now take that same picture once a month, and edit them into a time line so that one can see the progress. As a dad of twins, I can tell you that she's going to get pretty huge. We get a real kick out of looking at my wife's maternity pictures (which unfortunately were all P&S shots back in those days.) The later months are, well, shocking. :wow

Cheers,
    -joel
  • JAMooreJAMoore Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Absolutely spectacular. clap.gif

One question - did you do any softening or touchups on her skin? It looks too good to be true.
  • My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Beautiful!!!
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Beautiful shot! Now take that same picture once a month, and edit them into a time line so that one can see the progress. As a dad of twins, I can tell you that she's going to get pretty huge. We get a real kick out of looking at my wife's maternity pictures (which unfortunately were all P&S shots back in those days.) The later months are, well, shocking. :wow

Cheers,
    -joel

Yeah Thanks Joel! We are pretty sure she is gonna get huge! Yikes! She was only 4'11 at 110lbs to start with, so her belly is gonna have a lot to handle really soon!! And I will definately be taking pictures every week to catch all the progress! Thats some good advice!

Thanks Scott for all the Tips, I will try it out. I did kinda think the arm was distracting a little, but not sure about straightening the horizon cause it would rotate her also.

JAMoore - I did do some post work on her skin to smooth it out a little but not too much. Gotta love that Hawaiin sunshine!

And to everyone else thank you very much for your wonderful compliments!!
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Wow just stunning :)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • austinstrobistaustinstrobist Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    That is an absolutely spectacular shot!
    website & blog

stefanochoi.com
  • lyttlevietlyttleviet Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    love it!
    edited May 8, 2009
    Thanks everybody!! We for sure had fun shooting it!
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Beautiful.thumb.gif

The link in your siggy doesn't work properly. It goes to SmugMug's home page instead of your gallery.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 8, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    Beautiful.thumb.gif

The link in your siggy doesn't work properly. It goes to SmugMug's home page instead of your gallery.

Cuong

I fixed it. :D
    edited May 10, 2009
    Oh wow, thanks i didn't even realize!!
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    The picture is very nice, and you've had some great suggestions!!!

Totally off topic, as a recent pregger myself. Having twins, she may want to consider taking the belly ring out soon. With twins, and all the stretching her small frame is about to do it may do funky things with the piercing. A girlfriend of mine left hers in and it looked funny after she had her twins because of the way it was moved. Another friend took hers out, and it looked fine when she put it back in. just a thought
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Absolutely fantastic image!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • AngryRedAngryRed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    JimM wrote:
    Absolutely fantastic image!

Agreed, love it. Very imaginative.
    Love this place, but I am an ADV rider too!
    F800GS
  • noeltykaynoeltykay Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Nice shot! Best thing about maternity shots is the follow up business. Newborn, newborn mother and child, one month old, three months, six months, one year...etc....
    edited May 15, 2009
    Thanks Thanks Thanks!!!!!! We are super excited about whats to come! I'm kinda tired of waiting haha, just want them to be here already...but then again I am soaking up the time I have without the inevitable chaos!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    very nice capture.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    I LOVE IT!!! Excellent composition, lighting and DOF!!! clap.gifclap.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • mrlassitermrlassiter Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Wonderful shot, I wish I had anything near as good as that....

As DWTwins said, you aint seen nothing yet. My wife just delivered twins at 34 weeks, and even by that time she was huge. We had a few probs, so the last two months were strict bedrest, mostly P&S. I called her hospital gown a "Ball Gown",... She was only slightly amused. And, if you think you are tired of waiting, cherish this time with your wife, reconnect, reinvolve, whatever, as there will never again be enough time when the kids get here. Ours are boy and girl, the boy is home now, and the girl is still in NICU gaining weight, she's fine, but as a preemie, she needs a little extra help. Be very vigilant to anything unusual with the wife. Having twins is very hard on Mom. (Not sure whether it's been proven that it isnt as hard on Dad...) I spent everynight with her in the hospital for the last three weeks, and despite the setting, I am glad we had that time together to chat and get reacquainted, as it were.

I wish you and yours the very best. You certainly have many blessings ahead of you.
    -mrlassiter
    edited May 18, 2009
    mrlassiter wrote:
    Wonderful shot, I wish I had anything near as good as that....

As DWTwins said, you aint seen nothing yet. My wife just delivered twins at 34 weeks, and even by that time she was huge. We had a few probs, so the last two months were strict bedrest, mostly P&S. I called her hospital gown a "Ball Gown",... She was only slightly amused. And, if you think you are tired of waiting, cherish this time with your wife, reconnect, reinvolve, whatever, as there will never again be enough time when the kids get here. Ours are boy and girl, the boy is home now, and the girl is still in NICU gaining weight, she's fine, but as a preemie, she needs a little extra help. Be very vigilant to anything unusual with the wife. Having twins is very hard on Mom. (Not sure whether it's been proven that it isnt as hard on Dad...) I spent everynight with her in the hospital for the last three weeks, and despite the setting, I am glad we had that time together to chat and get reacquainted, as it were.

I wish you and yours the very best. You certainly have many blessings ahead of you.
    -mrlassiter

Wow! Congratulations on your new babies!! Very glad to hear that everything is going fine! We are basically expecting about the same thing, for them to come early. Seems like from everything we've been told and read up on, that a lot of twin mothers go on bed rest. We are hoping not to have to of course, but only time will tell. We definitely are cherishing our time together. We had hoped for boy/girl but its looking like boy/boy for us. Thanks for your wonderful comments and sharing your story! Nice to know theres support out there. I plan on doing some more shots here in the next week or so.. so be on the look out ! :D

-Cheers
    edited May 18, 2009
    DeuceFour wrote:
    Wow! Congratulations on your new babies!! Very glad to hear that everything is going fine! We are basically expecting about the same thing, for them to come early. Seems like from everything we've been told and read up on, that a lot of twin mothers go on bed rest. We are hoping not to have to of course, but only time will tell. We definitely are cherishing our time together. We had hoped for boy/girl but its looking like boy/boy for us. Thanks for your wonderful comments and sharing your story! Nice to know theres support out there. I plan on doing some more shots here in the next week or so.. so be on the look out ! :D

-Cheers

Thank you! Also, good news!!. Addison is coming home today. I am currently working the midshift, and will be picking her up in the a.m. so I am kinda excited to finally be able to get them back together, I think, though probably unfoundedly that part of her problem is maybe she misses her brother. I have resisted taking much more than cell pix (other than the delivery room, which was c-sect and not really that interesting) until we could take them together. We won't tire her out the first day home, but in the next couple of days I will throw some flash on 'em and have a go.
    I have a few horrible pix from the hospital room of wifey at 34 weeks that need a bit of work, but they still won't be too good, I am not having a good time with flash yet.
    I won't hijack your thread any longer, but, will post some pix of the new arrivals in my own in the next few days.... Congrats in advance to you! Keep us up to date on momma's health...
    If yours do come early (and they probably will) I am well versed in caring for preemies as it started with my grandson about 5 years ago, then my son two years ago, and now the twins... special needs as to being cautious, but nothing dramatic, mostly just monitoring temps, and religously kept feeding times and swaddling, no undue stimulation (tickling etc, they like to feel firm non moving pressure...) think 'womblike' environment. Nothing too taxing. Sorry so longwinded...
    Time for Dadw/twins to chime in here!

-mrlassiter
    edited May 18, 2009
    one other thing, I know she is probably seeing the doctor regularly, but, might I suggest you get a home blood pressure monitor of some sort and take her b/p a couple of times a day, you'll of course want to read up on what's natural and what changes foretell building problems. My wife was okay with a singleton, but the twins put a huge demand on her and resulted in preeclampsia... kinda scary, but forewarned is forearmed... Above all just keep her off her feet more and more the closer you get. (though I wasn't able to keep her off her feet much, they tend to get more stubborn the closer it gets, too...headscratch.gif ) So, in essence, lot's of relaxation together. :D

-mrlassiter
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    edited May 19, 2009
    Mrlassiter - Hey Thanks for all the amazing advice and information. I will definitely take it anywhere I can! Brand new dad, and I get to start with two sheesh!! Haha. Very glad to hear your daughter gets to go home, I am very sure they are ready to be near one another again. I have no doubt they miss each other. I can't wait to see them once theres a right moment for you to get in some nice shots! I think once I get some more I will just update this thread with them, oh and feel free to hijack all you want, Im all ears when it comes to this twin stuff!

The docs have already been talking to Momma about that preclampsia, but good to know for sure! And I'll tell ya Ive never seen a woman sleep so much haha, basically if shes not doing something active, she is napping.

You take care of those little premies!! clap.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 20, 2009
    mrlassiter wrote:
    Thank you! Also, good news!!. Addison is coming home today.
    That is good news. Congratulations on the birth of your twins, and I'm very glad to hear everybody is happy and healthy and home now.

We actually had the opposite problem. Our kids didn't want to get out. What we were told is that they don't let twin pregnancies go longer than 38 weeks (40 weeks being full term for a singleton). Reason being, things just get too crowded in there and nutrition starts to become questionable. So at 38 weeks the doctor finally said "enough" and induced the pregnancy with drugs. Out popped two kids weighing 6 lbs 11 oz, and 8 lbs 4 oz respectively. The hospital said it was the largest twins they'd ever delivered. Oddly enough, they're both amongst the smallest kids in their classes now. rolleyes1.gif

The single most important tip my wife and I always give new twin parents is to get them on a structured and rigid sleep schedule, from day one. Buy one of the baby sleep books on the market like this one. Read it and follow it religiously. Left to their own devices, your kids might easily end up on different sleep schedules, in which case your life is over. eek7.gif It may be rough getting them started on the schedule, but they will ultimately be happier and smarter kids for it. Small children need an amazing amount of sleep to develop their brains.

The rest of the stuff you'll figure out. Basically, you just do everything twice, pipeline style. There is an economy of scale there. Plus, your kids immediately have an instant playmate for life. It's a pretty good deal. nod.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited May 20, 2009
    WOW!!! That's huge compared to most twins Ive read about!! Our doc said they wouldn't let it go past 36 weeks..because of the same reason. Well glad they came out all nice and healthy thats all that matters!! Yeah Im excited about the fact that they get to have a sibling right from the get go..I know I couldn't imagine life without my two brothers. So I think your correct in saying thats a good deal! And thanks for the great sleep advice kdog, definitely dont want to fall into that "NO LIFE" category more than needed haha ;)
    edited May 20, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    That is good news. Congratulations on the birth of your twins, and I'm very glad to hear everybody is happy and healthy and home now.

We actually had the opposite problem. Our kids didn't want to get out. What we were told is that they don't let twin pregnancies go longer than 38 weeks (40 weeks being full term for a singleton). Reason being, things just get too crowded in there and nutrition starts to become questionable. So at 38 weeks the doctor finally said "enough" and induced the pregnancy with drugs. Out popped two kids weighing 6 lbs 11 oz, and 8 lbs 4 oz respectively. The hospital said it was the largest twins they'd ever delivered. Oddly enough, they're both amongst the smallest kids in their classes now. rolleyes1.gif

The single most important tip my wife and I always give new twin parents is to get them on a structured and rigid sleep schedule, from day one. Buy one of the baby sleep books on the market like this one. Read it and follow it religiously. Left to their own devices, your kids might easily end up on different sleep schedules, in which case your life is over. eek7.gif It may be rough getting them started on the schedule, but they will ultimately be happier and smarter kids for it. Small children need an amazing amount of sleep to develop their brains.

The rest of the stuff you'll figure out. Basically, you just do everything twice, pipeline style. There is an economy of scale there. Plus, your kids immediately have an instant playmate for life. It's a pretty good deal. nod.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Now, now...Let's not scare the new guy rolleyes1.gif ...
    The sleeping thing is great advice. And, I stand in awe of your wife's gestational fortitude! Things do get crowded in there. My daughter's head was all smashed looking when she came out. It's pretty much back to normal now, but I annoyed the nurses to no end asking fourten times if they were sure it would 'pop' back out. headscratch.gif It did, mostly.
    We are in the throes of learning to breastfeed twins. The boy wants to eat all the time, but wants nothing to do with a breast, the girl doesn't want to eat at all. She is a super pokey eater, burns waaaayyy too much energy. I keep encouraging SWMBO to keep at it, it'll save about one in three hours if the three of them can get the hang of it.
    I promised I would stop hijacking this thread, so I will post a few pix of the new arrivals as soon as my website finishes the downloads...
    But, DANG! Four twins' Dads here? Maybe we gravitate to photog to save on double portrait sitting fees, no? Anyone else?

-mrlassiter
  • Jazmyn76Jazmyn76 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    *love* the image! absolutely repeat monthly, you'll (all) treasure it in later years! One 'parental' note that I have to mention is that if you're unfamiliar with Dr. Sears and his books- I HIGHLY reccomend them!! thumb.gif
    CONGRATULATIONS! Can't wait to see subsequint images as time, and belly grow!
  • Mlark1128Mlark1128 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Have to chime in and say this is an absolutely gorgeous image! And congratulations too!
    Meagan
    Nikon D90|17-55 f/2.8|50mm f/1.4G
    CC always welcome and appreciated!