Options

Learning Photoshop and Lightroom - How do you do it?

mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited May 8, 2009 in Finishing School
How did everyone become proficient at Photoshop/Lightroom? Did you guys take classes? Learn by trial and error? I am kind of struggling with my photoshop skills and looking for a place to really learn. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited May 6, 2009
    I remember when I was new to PS, I thought it was the most daunting computer program I had ever experienced, so you are not alone.

The learning curve for digital photography for someone who is learning photographic technique, AND digital editing and processing in Photoshop/Lightroom is very steep. I began with Photoshop 5 or 6 somewhere shortly after the turn of the century, and have gradually learned more with each new edition of Photoshop, and continued to read and learn along the way.

Dgrin has number of tutorials available here

There are a number of useful threads at the top of this forum in Finishing School.

Scott Kelby writes a number of books about Photoshop and Lightroom which are very straightforward. They say - Do This, Then Do that. Very little theory, but just what a photographer needs to know how to do. His humor is kind of smart alecky and lame brain, but for learning Photoshop his books are very effective none the less. (I would say this to the author's face and I am sure he would agree with me about the humor )

"The Adobe Photoshop CS4 book for digital photographers" is excellent, as is his "7 Point System for Adobe Photoshop CS3"

The list of books, links, tutorials is almost endless, and each of us ultimately finds what works best for us. No one sits down and learns all of PS in a few afternoons, it takes a very long time, and every 18 months, just when you get about up to speed on the latest version of PS, Adobe brings out a new version and we all begin again. Welcome to the club!

You can google Photoshop tutorials ( but the quality can vary from pretty good to absolutely horrible or funny ) ( Check out "I suck at Photoshop" ).

you can search Amazon for textbooks - you will find over 100 for Photoshop I am sure ranging from PS 4 through PS CS4.

Many colleges offer short courses or 1 or 2 semester courses in Photoshop. but the learning does not stop even then.... I still learn new things every few weeks.

Workshops are a great learning tools also.

I think each of us ultimately has to spend some time with a good text book to get some of the basics firmly built into our heads. Learn to use masks, and layers - that is where the power of PS lives.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 6, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif What PF said. Books, tutorials, classes, workshops, whatever. It's a beast, and since the user interface is designed for the expert, not the beginner, it's difficult to get started. Seek help wherever you can. Just fooling around with it can also be instructive, but try to avoid just twiddling with sliders till something looks cool. Rather, you should try to think about what you want your image to look like and then focus on figuring out how to use the tools to get the results you want.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif It's a beast, and since the user interface is designed for the expert, not the beginner, it's difficult to get started.

Richard, I think this is very pertinent. I've never heard this said so explicitly, but it is certainly true. Also true is that there are at least 3 or 4 different means to accomplish the very same thing in Photoshop, since it is designed to accommodate a very wide range of users. Each of us gradually learn which way is easier and more facile for us. But for beginners it is almost too much too much.

Just fooling around with it can also be instructive, but try to avoid just twiddling with sliders till something looks cool. Rather, you should try to think about what you want your image to look like and then focus on figuring out how to use the tools to get the results you want.

To really use Photoshop, one needs a basic fundamental understanding of how a digital images is constructed and altered. Trying to figure out how to use Photoshop, without any understanding of the basics, is kind of like trying to teach yourself how to fly an airplane by just taking off.

Whether from a text or a course, I think many of us need a little help to get started on the right path. All beginning pilots need an instructor pilot before they are ready to solo.

That is why Kelby's books sell - they help one get up to speed quickly with the basics, and then one can learn more as they progress.

• Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Whether from a text or a course, I think many of us need a little help to get started on the right path. All beginning pilots need an instructor pilot before they are ready to solo.

nod.gif In my case, the lights started coming on when I read Dan Margulis's Photoshop LAB Color. I do a lot more adjusting in ACR than I did when I first read this book, but I think it was tremendously helpful in understanding what color and luminosity are all about.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    I liked that book too. I enjoyed the book reviews we did here previously.

Do you think the LAB book is the right place for a complete PS newbie to start, or do they need a little more experience in PS RGB world first?

Do you use LAB as much now with the newer versions of ACR as you did two or three years ago? I find less reason to wander through LAB now to get where I want my image to go, but that may not be everyone's experience.

• Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    mpriest13 wrote:
    How did everyone become proficient at Photoshop/Lightroom? Did you guys take classes? Learn by trial and error? I am kind of struggling with my photoshop skills and looking for a place to really learn. Any ideas?

Thanks

I've been using Photoshop since Version 5. All self-taught from books, tutorials, magazines, and just plain messing around. I'd rate myself as somewhat advanced.

I recently upgraded to CS4 from PS 7.0 and heard, through my photography club, of a course at a local technical school. Three hours, one day a week, four-week course. First time I've taken a course.

It's really been beneficial. It jump-started me on the tools in CS4 that are not in PS 7.0. Already being fairly proficient allowed me to easily grasp new things that weren't available in PS 7.0 like Smart Objects. I've signed up for Part II of the same course.

For the newbie, I'd recommend picking a topic, reading every on-line tutorial on that topic, and trying each technique. (There's always more than one way to do anything in Photoshop) Pick "making a selection", for example, and try all the ways to do it. You'll soon figure out what works for you.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Do you think the LAB book is the right place for a complete PS newbie to start, or do they need a little more experience in PS RGB world first?
    In my case, I had no prior photography experience when I started shooting digital, and that also meant that I knew nothing at all about RGB. For me, the separation of color from luminance channels in LAB was far easier to understand than the mish mash of RGB. TBH, it still is. Of course, if you have prior RGB experience, then your mileage will certainly vary.
    pathfinder wrote:
    Do you use LAB as much now with the newer versions of ACR as you did two or three years ago? I find less reason to wander through LAB now to get where I want my image to go, but that may not be everyone's experience.
    As I said earlier, I do a lot more in ACR than I used to, especially global color adjustments and contrast, but there are some kinds of selective adjustments that I still do in LAB. I especially like using the blend if sliders to control adjustment layers based on color, for example. While I do initial contrast adjustments in ACR, I usually fine tune in LAB. I am still using ACR 4.6 (?), but I find no equivalent there for using curve layers in different blending modes, something I use on occasion. I also still use Dan's USM on the L channel (frequently combined with masks) for output sharpening. I have actions set up to convert to LAB and revert to RGB and save JPGs at the end, and my computer is fast enough that the conversions are almost intantaneous, so it's really no bother.
  • Options
    Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Howdy.

I've been using Photoshop since version 6, and Lightroom for about a year. I pretty much learned Lightroom by the seat of my pants. The simple interface and limited number of options makes this possible. I tried this way back when with Ps, and I didn't get very far. As mentioned above, it's a beast. Quite often, some obscure little triangle somewhere in the corner of something is the key to the kingdom. I found it necessary to dust off my wallet and actually by a book. I found an excellent one, and I can't recommend it more highly.

Photoshop for Windows & Macintosh, from Peachpit Press, is in their Visual Quickstart Guide series. It's not big on theory, but is very visual, with detailed step by step instructions with screen shots. It's great if you're starting from scratch. Mine is for Ps 6, but it is still my Ps bible. Pretty much everything in it is still applicable to CS3. Even so, I would recommend you get a later edition than mine. They also offer a Visual Quickstart Guide for Lightroom and most Adobe offerings. I also bought and use their guide to Illustrator. So far, for the reasons mentioned above, I haven't felt the need to get their Lightroom guide. But is sounds like getting both books would be good for you. They're about 30 bucks. The main thing is, you'll save tons of time and get better results if you get a book, any good book. (I also like anything by Martin Evening. His books come with a CD with live action tutorials.)

Beyond that, I would recommend you concentrate on Lr in the beginning. Even Ps experts using Lr process all their images in Lr first, and a good guestimate is only about 10% of these images need further processing in Ps.

You should be able to understand and use most of the available Lr features in a few weeks. Mastering RAW processing is a lifelong project, but you will be able to use the tools and get good results fairly quickly. And all edits are reversible. Invaluable to rookies and pros alike.

Ps is another story. In the few weeks it would take you get going pretty good in Lr, you will have barely scratched the surface of Ps. And all the edits you do while learning are irreversible. I can't tell you how many images I butchered learning Ps. (In the days before I had RAW capabilities.) Better to butcher them in Lr, where you can unbutcher them.

For what it's worth, I have just started publishing a set of tutorials covering Lr, Ps, and related subjects. There are just a few in there right now, but I am adding more every day. Most of them are based on questions from the DGrin forum, so address topics that are currently on the minds of Ps and Lr users. As time goes, I will fill in the gaps between the questions to yield a more comprehensive and helpful reference. Some forum readers have found my responses helpful. Maybe you will too. And if you have a specific question, post it here. Me or somebody will usually be able to help you out. And most likely I'll whip up a tutorial addressing your question. If I know the answer. To see what I've got so far, click here.

Good luck.
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Self-taught in CS3. The real "aha" moment came when I went and youtubed tutorials on layers - once I figured that out, the rest came pretty easily... well, thanks to the help of dgrin (and other tutorial sites) whenever I got stuck! I also got the Kelby CS3 book out of the library and held on to it tightly until I got hold of my own. That book is da bomb.

Lightroom I'm still figuring out - it's intuitive up to a point, but I KNOW I don't use anything like its full capacities, largely because I don't know all of them because I don't have a manual (legal, licensed educational copy, but no documentation with it).
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Unless I missed it (speed reading), I didn't see anyone mention the "help file" that comes with the program. (after you download it!)deal.gif

That's what the Gurus do and then charge you for doing so.

Like anything with so many combinations of functionallity...keep it simple...break it down to little things. Start out by asking yourself "what do I want to do".

There is no magic picture editing button...Adobe may get to that in CS5!!!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    There is no magic picture editing button...Adobe may get to that in CS5!!!rolleyes1.gif

CS5 was three generations back, Ric, I think you mean CS 9.

But Adobe wants you to keep buying again and again and again, so they will never really give us the single button approachmwink.gif

• Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    CS5 was three generations back, Ric, I think you mean CS 9.

Sorry, that went over my head.headscratch.gif

I bought CS4 in December of `08...what year is this? I didn't pull a Rip VanWinkle, did I?:D
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    Photoshop 7 was the version prior to CS3 ( aka v8) and CS4 then was version 9.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Photoshop 7 was the version prior to CS3 ( aka v8) and CS4 then was version 9.

Ah! :D

But not CS.

Whatever that stands for.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Different people are going to need different approaches. For me, I got nowhere until I started to read Dan Margulis. I need to understand things down to a pretty low level and if there is a magic button, I want to know exactly what it does. So learning the underlying theory is what got me off the ground.

So if you're like me, you'll love Dan's LAB book as an intro book. If you're like a lot of people, not so much.

In fact if you're like a lot of people, you'll be happier working more in ACR via Lightroom than in Photoshop. I find Lightroom baffling and ACR constraining and mysterious. To each his own.

If you are really just starting out and have some background in the darkroom and maybe have read Adams, you might prefer to learn Lightzone than any of these programs. It's very different than the Adobe products and much more in touch with Adam's theory thanthey are.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Different people are going to need different approaches. For me, I got nowhere until I started to read Dan Margulis. I need to understand things down to a pretty low level and if there is a magic button, I want to know exactly what it does. So learning the underlying theory is what got me off the ground.
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Dan's book was very important to me too. But I wouldn't recommend it as the first PS book for a n00b. I think first you need to become familiar with the the user interface, individual tools, and key concepts like layers, masks, channels and blending modes, and the LAB book assumes you already know all this stuff. So I would advise the OP to start with an overview for photographers (not graphics designers)--Kelby's books are highly regarded, but there are many others to choose from as well.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Well, Dan's books were my first. As I said, it won't be the same for most people. But for the very nerdly, it might be right.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    I think the ease of grasping PS also depends on the user's basic understanding and comfort with computer usage and graphics programs in general. When I came to CS3, I'd already used Paintshop for a while so could select, use filters, adjust brightness/contrast, clone etc etc - I couldn't use it to its full capacity, but the basics were there. When I first started using Paintshop, I"d already used the drawing program in MS Word. Before that, I had used MS paint. Each program has certain elements I learned which are still useful to me now, the basics if you like. For somebody who's never used ANY drawing program, CS3 could be pretty intimidating without a good walk-thru of the basics.

Again, I recommend going to Youtube (as well as googling) and checking out tutorials. There are some GREAT PS tutorials on there, and sometimes hearing the explanation while watching the result in real time is all it takes for the lightbulb moment to happen. As I mentioned, this is what happened to me with layers - I understood the *concept* of layers, but hadn't ever seen the way a conceal/reveal brush (ie black/white) was used, and just couldn't figure out how to manipulate the layer I created. One quick tutorial and suddenly it was easy... and that knowledge built on itself.

Another key "aha" moment for me was working with Kelby's CS3 book and learning that the clone tool can be set in different blending modes - his method of retouching dark eye shadows in a portrait using clone/lighten was another big step forward in skills, as I started to understand how to manipulate the basic tools better.

I'm now dying to get hold of the LAB book - that's my next learing curve, I can see. Rutt's many and highly informative posts have totally started me wanting to learn how to do that better, so I just have to get my hands on a discounted copy somewhere... :D

I guess the short version of this is that skills beget skills, and the more you use the program, the more you realise it can do for you. But it helps to have some basic computer understanding to begin with, if only so you're not afraid to click and mess around getting it horribly wrong until you figure out what you're doing. I think this is why children often learn computing skills faster than adults - they just adopt the "Hmm... what does this do?" mentality without self-judgement or worry, and in the process learn very quickly how to get the results they want.
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Teaching yourself these programs is such a rewarding experience. I suggest buy a book or two, Kelby has some really good ones, but what worked for me was to just go out, shoot, and then just get hands on experience with the software. Google is also your friend thumb.gif

ps, completely non related, but in architecture school, they give us all this crazy 3d modeling software like maya and solidworks and say GO, lol that was even more daunting for me then learning photoshop.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com