Macro tips for Nikon?

MotophotogMotophotog Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited May 7, 2009 in Holy Macro
Hey all, nice macro shots I have seen so far...

I have attempted macro, but dont get SUPER close I like i would like. I think the closest i can get is 100mm (dx sensor) at 8 inches away.

For the canon guys you have this. MPE-65 lens I found on another thread, but for nikon, what have you found that works? I have never used extension tubes, do these ruin the sharpness of the image? Tips? Sorry i know nothing of macro :)

:clap
www.darrenbeattyphotography.com
Contracts for: WMRRA, Sullivan Race School, AMA, Epic Trackdays, NMC Magazine
***Seattle - Shelton - Portland - Spokane***

Comments

• catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    You can use extension tubes (they make Kenkos for nikon too) as well as the Canon 500D lens/filter thingy. That'll turn a lot of 'normal' lenses into at least close up lenses. True macro work is 1:1 ratio which is harder to get unless you use all of the above on a normal lens .... or use a macro lens. FYI Nikon calls theirs micro lenses. don't get confused :)
    //Leah
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 6, 2009
    Nikon makes a lovely 60mm f2.8 Micro Nikkor.

Tamron and Sigma both make fine macro lenses for both Nikon and Canon. The Tamron 90mm Macro has always had a great reputation.

Extension tubes, bellows, + filter lenses are all available to Nikonians as well as white lens shooters...thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Extension tubes have very little effect on image quality and are a great buy either to use with normal lenses or macro lenses. They will let you get over 1:1 magnification with a std 50mm lens or 2:1 with a 100mm macro lens.

To get to MPE-65 Mags you would need a normal macro lens around 100mm, a set of eg Kenko ext tubes and an old 50mm lens to reverse onto the front of the macro lens.
    Brian v.