Options

Family loves this shot...but it is a little out of focus.

mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited May 7, 2009 in Finishing School
Is this a good edit?

Original

DSC_2012.jpg

Edit

NolanS104a.jpg

Any advice on the color options?

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    I like the original better. What were you trying to accomplish with the edit?
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    I like the original better. What were you trying to accomplish with the edit?

Mostly just trying to sharpen his face.

Is this a little better?

NolanS104aa.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    Well, on my uncalibrated work monitor it looks like you went from a slightly warm but pleasing white balance to a decidedly cool and off-putting wb. Also the tree, which is brown in the 1st image, looks to be blue-black in the second.

The second image also looks to be darker, which contradicts the mood set by the smiling face and the jaunty jacket-over-the-shoulder pose.

All this is just MHO, and you should trust your own judgement as to what you want.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    YES! clap.gif
    mpriest13 wrote:
    Mostly just trying to sharpen his face.

Is this a little better?

NolanS104aa.jpg
  • Options
    mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    How about this:
    530683732_G9jS8-XL.jpg

I ran it through Focus Magic. Might even be able to tweak it a little more.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited May 7, 2009
    I rather like the composition. The added vignette in the second image seems stronger than needed to my eye. The skin tones seem better in the first image to me, but the shirt is a bit too blue. You can read about skin tones here - http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone

The color is not that bad in the first image, but it needs a black point and a white point set and a small bit of a curve. The second image is way too blue, and I think both have a bit of green in them as well from all the green reflector they are standing on.

Just running the first image through Adobe Raw converter, setting a wb balance point on the shirt collar, and sharpening it in ACR will help significantly.

If you are going to shoot at f2.1 you must be very precise with your focusing. It looks like the tree got favored in the focusing department.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    I rather like the composition. The added vignette in the second image seems stronger than needed to my eye. The skin tones seem better in the first image to me, but the shirt is a bit too blue. You can read about skin tones here - http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone

The color is not that bad in the first image, but it needs a black point and a white point set and a small bit of a curve. The second image is way too blue, and I think both have a bit of green in them as well from all the green reflector they are standing on.

Just running the first image through Adobe Raw converter, setting a wb balance point on the shirt collar, and sharpening it in ACR will help significantly.

If you are going to shoot at f2.1 you must be very precise with your focusing. It looks like the tree got favored in the focusing department.
    Which of these two look better. I am trying to hone my PS skills especially when it comes to color. I think this image is a better example because I don't have to worry about sharpening an out of focus image. This one is pretty much sharp. Thanks.

NolanS129a.jpg

NolanS129aa.jpg