Copper Hill Cleaning Method

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited May 12, 2009 in Cameras
Ok. After 18 months the dust bunnies will no longer blow off. So with reluctance I ordered a Copper Hill Kit. I'm a bit nervous, as I don't really have a backup plan if things go terribly wrong.

But what I'm really wondering is, why did they ship a plastic rainbow-colored slinky with the kit?:dunno :rofl

Comments

• JabbaJabba Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    So you'll have something to play with while your camera is being repaired by the manufacturer~:D
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Jabba wrote:
    So you'll have something to play with while your camera is being repaired by the manufacturer~:D

Ha ha!

The Copper Hill method was so easy - especially the first time because they wrap the cleaner for you! It'll go easier than you think and you'll be thrilled with the results.

I don't know about the slinky, but I got mine when we were on vacation and I must admit I sat on the deck for a while watching the waves come in and playing with it! rolleyes1.gif
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Well, it took about a dozen tries, but the sensor is better. Not perfect, but better ...
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 8, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Well, it took about a dozen tries, but the sensor is better. Not perfect, but better ...

If this is the first wet cleaning in 18 months, your mileage is probably about average. I don't aim for perfection anymore. I do the tests at f/22 but once they look pretty good, I check at f/16 and if that is completely clean, I call it done. In fact, I rarely shoot above f/13. If you are still seeing spots at your smallest normal aperture, you might try again...sometimes the first passes loosen up stuff that will come off later.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Yeah, the little bits that are left are 1) in the corners, and 2) invisible at f/11.

So, what do you use your rainbow slinky for?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 8, 2009
    MarkR wrote:

I gave it to my cat, who batted it around for a few minutes and then lost interest. lol3.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Yeah, the little bits that are left are 1) in the corners, and 2) invisible at f/11.

mine is sittting on a table with other stuff to be photographed later or when divine intervention happens to me.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    My previous record says that when ever i take care of something it dies sooner than i want....So i never cleaned my camera gear looks so dirty and cheap especially the camera body that has dust everywhere !
    Finally i am also thinking to blow the dust from sensor but simple blower will do the job if i can find one.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Do not use can air to blow the sensor. You will get splat , and that is a mess. Can be removed easily, but gives you a mild cardiac.:D
    Bob