Printer suggestions

tryin'tryin' Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited May 14, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I had (still have) the Epson Photo R1800 .. it worked brilliantly on windows and could print 13x19 prints that were exceptional. However, I have never been able to get it to work with my Mac. Prints are always green, and I have downloaded and installed all known fixes and am using the latest operating systems ... etc, etc, etc.

Do you have any suggestions for a pro quality printer I could use EASILY with my imac, that could do a professional quality job with small AND large prints. I really like EPSON because they have/had the highest pixel capability .. but I don't want to spend any more hours messing around with downloaded fixes and wasting photo paper only to find it still doesn't work.

I order all client prints via SmugMug .. but sometimes I just want a print for my own use, or to donate to the schools, etc ... sometimes I simply don't have a week lead time ...

Suggestions welcome!

Sue Bruce
www.suebrucephotography.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 7, 2009
    I moved this to Digital Darkroom Gear where I think you'll find a better audience for the question.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dwayne_bradleydwayne_bradley Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    More info please
    1) What is your budget?

2) How big do you want to be able to print? Is 13x19 big enough or do you want bigger?

3) How much space do you have? Are you just going to replace the space that your R1800 currently occupies or do you have a little extra to spare?

4) Are you wanting to use 3rd party inks or a CIS (continuous ink system) or do you stick with manufacturer inks?

5) Pretty much same as 4 but what about paper? Do you only use a manufacturer's paper or do you use other manufacturer's paper?

One other thing comes to mind: have you ever profiled your printer's paper/ink combination since you moved to a Mac?

Just FYI: I still have an R1800 and I use a Mac as well. I use the InkJetFly CIS with mine.
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    I switched from the R1800 to the Canon Pro 9000 on my Mac and could not be HAPPIER! This printer was almost literally plug and play, the colors matched my calibrated screen almost perfect right out of the BOX! It was AWESOME! The Epson was a nightmare in comparison....
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • WolfOnDigitalWolfOnDigital Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Hands down the winner is...
    The Epson printers. The best printers for Photography out there.
    Almost any photographer I have talked with or read about use an Epson Printer.

Jeff

Do you have any suggestions for a pro quality printer I could use EASILY with my imac, that could do a professional quality job with small AND large prints. I really like EPSON because they have/had the highest pixel capability .. but I don't want to spend any more hours messing around with downloaded fixes and wasting photo paper only to find it still doesn't work.

I order all client prints via SmugMug .. but sometimes I just want a print for my own use, or to donate to the schools, etc ... sometimes I simply don't have a week lead time ...

Suggestions welcome!

Sue Bruce
    www.suebrucephotography.com[/quote]
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    I hope you don't mind if I hijack the thread a bit but I have the same question and I hate to start another thread on the same topic.

I'm looking at either the Epson R1900 or the Canon Pro 9000. They are both in the top range of my budget, I don't really care about footprint and 13x19 is the max I would print at so we're good there. Not sure about the brand vs. 3rd party inks... should I care?

Whats most important for me is print quality and reliability.

Thanks,
    Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • dwayne_bradleydwayne_bradley Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    3rd party inks/paper...
    I hope you don't mind if I hijack the thread a bit but I have the same question and I hate to start another thread on the same topic.

I'm looking at either the Epson R1900 or the Canon Pro 9000. They are both in the top range of my budget, I don't really care about footprint and 13x19 is the max I would print at so we're good there. Not sure about the brand vs. 3rd party inks... should I care?

Whats most important for me is print quality and reliability.

Thanks,
    Alex

Alex,

Unless you want to go the route of profiling not only your monitor BUT ALSO the ink/paper combination that you are using for printing (and EVERY different ink/paper combination that you use at that), stick with the manufacturer's ink and paper. You will prints will be much closer to your monitor that way. Printer profiling can be very tedious especially if you use a lot of different papers or change to a different 3rd party ink.

Just my $0.02.

Dwayne