Bells Rapids in Autumn

FatFrogFotographyFatFrogFotography Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
edited May 7, 2009 in Landscapes
We've had a very dry summer and autumn here in Perth and as a result some of the local rivers are looking very dry in their upper reaches. These shots were more an opportunity to test out my newly acquired (second hand) Canon 5D, with my 17-40L. Needless to say I'm very excited about the wide-angle capabilities. Let me know what you think and feel free to check out the rest of the set at my site.

529280208_hX6R5-XL.jpg

529283080_rzHVk-XL.jpg

529288655_46PM9-XL.jpg

529291626_akDYV-XL.jpg

Comments

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Wide angle shots are fun, aren't they? These are nicely exposed. thumb.gif But I would suggest having something in the foreground to focus on, something to draw the eye to first before it ranges out to see the entire image. Composing wide angle landscapes is a challenge.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • FatFrogFotographyFatFrogFotography Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Wide angle shots are fun, aren't they? These are nicely exposed. thumb.gif But I would suggest having something in the foreground to focus on, something to draw the eye to first before it ranges out to see the entire image. Composing wide angle landscapes is a challenge.

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate the input.

I'm definitely looking to put interesting stuff in the foreground of the wide angle shots (I think I made it happen in the last shot especially), but it is definitely not easy and not always possible. I wonder, is it always necessary?

Thanks too for the compliment on the exposure. I had wondered if they were maybe a little hot. I have calibrated monitors at home and here in the office (non-cal monitor) they seem a bit hot. But I'm glad to hear you think it's good.

I'm looking forward to growing in my composition skills with this new avenue to explore (previously limited to 17mm on a crop sensor, but having shot film in years gone by).