Working on Energy

DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
edited May 12, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Can you feel it. I had some other thoughts that I wanted to try. This one done with in Camera multi exposure. Had shot 2 other scenarios but did not do anything for me. Going back tomorrow to shoot some more.
531061515_uRYuT-L.jpg

Old And New
531070567_tnqZc-L-0.jpg

Reworked the first one might be a bit much now

533243370_p2tGU-L.jpg
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    #1 is really cool!!!! However, the lighting looks a bit dull on this monitor. Maybe someone with the better calibrated monitor will speak up. The composition itself is great -- all it needs is a Curves adjustment -- maybe.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Nice shots Chris. I prefer the first as well. Agree with Linda that it could stand a bit of 'punch'/levels. Really like the effect you got with the shutter speed.
    E
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Nice
    Very cool idea and kudos on the shot in number 1... that is awesome.. I agree the colors are not punchy enough or bright enough.. it looks a little dull. I like #1.......... Number 2 is very creative in its own right though, although #1 works better for this theme..thumb.gif

Good luck

Kat
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    #1 is cool. Agree with the others that it seems a bit flat. The blades of the windmills don't look real. Not sure about that... I don't think it's bad, but for some reason, I spent the entire time looking at them, especially the first windmill on the left.

Great idea though. It's the second thing that came to mind when I started thinking about this challenge. Problem for me is that the closest windmill farm is about a 2.5 hour drive and I may be too busy to get out there.

Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Thank You for the feed back. I have not posted pre shots in the past DSS but since this is a mega I wanted to work with the collective thoughts of the group instead of forging forward on my own.
    I have learn so much since participating here and observing others work.
    I thank you all.

I am going back out tonight to shoot some more. I have some other ideas on this theme
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    I'll be different and say I like the juxtaposition of #2. #1 is good as well, but I wondering what a long exposure would look like. Would the blades end up being too blurred to be recognizable? Just my thoughts. I think either way you go though, it is going to turn out nice.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
    edited May 10, 2009
    Here are some others
    A long exposure unless it is bright enough just makes dull circle that does But if you get long enough to give a bit of blur it does give the sense of motion. The first one
    I did get a couple more shots and ideas did not do any noise adj yet

LE Night with the moonrise light painted
    533244805_WHjDy-L.jpg

Extreme curve adjust with normal moon
    533450953_pSdBa-L.jpg

BMX Track
    533237447_dQtKL-L.jpg

Green Energy533469322_7fF6e-L-0.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    edited May 11, 2009
    wow..
    ok,, the first one hurts my eyes.... me no likey..eek7.gifhuheek7.gif

The second one is really creative and goes a long way towards the
    "energy theme".

The third is not as powerful as the second, but not bad.. I think it is the way you accomplished the blur motion. Why the hump in the blur? did they jump over the hill right there? if they did then that would make sense. I did some blur shots today too.. and you can get a real good effect if you utilize and active zoom while shooting.. at least it worked for me.. The reason I mention this is when I look at the photo, I see the white blur from "way up in the sky, however, they may have jumped that high up.. I don't know.

anyways.. the last one, well who does not like a good baby photo.. that is adorable.. My fav is #2.. but I will mention that I really loved your first entry at the start of this post too.. the "original" shot.. that was a contender...

Hope i helped some... good luck..thumb.gif

Kat
    edited May 11, 2009
    Just Noticed
    ok,, just now noticed your re-work on the original.. well.. how did you adjust it? I am not favoring the re-work.. it brightened it up, yes, but it sure brought out a lot of red fringe in the photo. Maybe try to adjust it with the "shadow highlight" tool with advanced options checked..in PS and then apply a very very slight Gaussian blur bringing that in on a secondary layer and adjusting the opacity until it looks right.. I mean you do not want a lot of blur, this photo looks best sharp with the wind blades, but then just a slight blur on a secondary layer will help to fade the red fringing and harsh contrast some?

also, I dont favor the fan poles so yellow, I think they stood out more from the background when they were a little darker in color, like on the original shot.

Just some thoughts... I know there are a lot of PS geeks on here who can probably suggest something better... this is just what I would do...

Kat
    edited May 11, 2009
    Thanks Kat I am still leaning towards my first shot for this theme. I went out the next night when the moon was rising. Got carried away with the post but I know I am pushing it a bit but looking for the limits.
    I wish I was more into Photo shop I use mainly Capture NX I have CNX2 now and I am getting used to its new functions. Used Corel to blend the moons but all are rough works. Just throwing ideas out there to see what sticks. Oh and the baby(grandson) was just too darn cute not to include.
    Thank You for looking
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • billtaichibilltaichi Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    I would like to see a version of number 2 with the blades from number 1. I think the feel of moving blades is great but think #2 is a better composition. Anyway I think you are definitely on the right path great photos! clap.gif
    Remember wherever you go, there you are.
    edited May 11, 2009
    Yes I like #2 for the added lines in the wheat and the old n new aspect but I took it hand held so I could not do the multi exp at that location in time.
    I am going to be back in that area again Wednsday there is another location with old windmill that was a hike that I didnt take the time to do.
    Here are some that are more simple but I do like the geometry and the clouds had not moved on in the later shots. It is really different the editing in Capture NX2 between the single shot and the multiple exposure it is harder to bring up the contrast with out making it look wierd. But i do like the m exp for the effect on the blades

533630640_oPA6G-L.jpg

533630224_yVZ6D-L.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • tykemamatykemama Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Wow, I love it!
    I think the concept is great, and graphically speaking you could really take the technique of the first image and make something really special happen. While I don't have a the answer (lotta help I am... sorry!) ... I really love how surreal (yet real) the blades of the windmill appear in #1... and while I like the composition... I'm not sure it has enough impact overall. Perhaps a longer lens... tighten up on the composition (as in your second round of images?), but more of a dynamic composition... Just rambling off the cuff...

Hope this is more of a help than hindrance...
    ___
    www.kimberlyteichrow.com
    Original Artwork, Photography and More

I appreciate a good critique... and would love to hear from you!