IS on a carnival ride?

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited May 11, 2009 in Cameras
Got some ideas for the newest Dgrin Challenge which involve shooting while on some carnival rides. One would be that centrifugal spinner. I was thinking of using my older Canon 350D (just in case:wink) and the kit 18-55 with IS. Only question is - to use IS or not? I would aim across from me to capture someone who would be relatively static compare to me with motion around. I'm guessing I should turn IS off as it may get very confused by the centrifugal motion.
Thoughts?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 8, 2009
    In the case of in-lens IS, that system is designed to handle "normal" vibration in a "hand held" situation. It is not really designed for vehicular vibrations and the centering springs in the system will probably just get bottomed out in a high G force situation.

Since the system is not designed for your application, the results are unpredictable. You might try it both ways to see which is better, but I think I would not try to use it myself and depend on a combination of holding technique and shutter speed to control shake as necessary.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    I think the carnival ride is not so bad as on a bumpy bus ride on the dirt road in China.

My 24-105 IS survived and delivered ok pictures.

As our hands buffer most of the vibration, the shaky motion may be just similar to handheld. It is important to avoid either the camera or lens hitting the hard objects such as the window frame.

If you tried it, please share result with us.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Thanks guys
    I'll see if I'm brave enough to take the slr on. Might just do a trial run with an old P&S
    E
    edited May 9, 2009
    u2197.jpgHere is one of the photo taken from the bus. I was lucky that the group allow me to have the window seat and let me open the window.
    Photoskipper
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Got some ideas for the newest Dgrin Challenge which involve shooting while on some carnival rides. One would be that centrifugal spinner. I was thinking of using my older Canon 350D (just in casemwink.gif) and the kit 18-55 with IS. Only question is - to use IS or not? I would aim across from me to capture someone who would be relatively static compare to me with motion around. I'm guessing I should turn IS off as it may get very confused by the centrifugal motion.
    Thoughts?

You and the guy across are moving at the same speed so there won't be the motion blur. Are you just looking to capture the funny face?
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    So the idea ended up being a wash - never did try it. The gravitron ride was what i was hoping for but there was a big column of light in the middle that I could not shoot around. That and the g forces wouldn't allow a shot.
    Thanks for all the ideas though.
    E
    edited May 11, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    So the idea ended up being a wash - never did try it. The gravitron ride was what i was hoping for but there was a big column of light in the middle that I could not shoot around. That and the g forces wouldn't allow a shot.
    Thanks for all the ideas though.
    E

What is the shooting mode and shutter speed you used?
    The light in the carnival may be much lower and it may cause slow shutter speed and the blur image.

It can be interest to shoot something like this. Long exposure (5 secs) with IS on a coach traveling in the tunnel in Italy.
    Photoskipper
    edited May 11, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    You and the guy across are moving at the same speed so there won't be the motion blur. Are you just looking to capture the funny face?

Just want to share the other photo taken on the speeding bus along the dirt road in the country side in China.

It was in the morning and had good sunrays shine on the old man. The bus was running at least 60 kmh and the old man was about 20 meters away. I used IS on, AE mode, F5.0, ISO 400 and -1/3 exposure compensation then the shutter speed was 1/1000 secs and zoom at max 105 mm with the 24 -105 lens.

In order to get a better shoot on the running vehicle, it is important to have high shutter speed and target on an object at least 15 to 20 meters away to avoid the blur image.
    Photoskipper