Options

Need help downloading presets

picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
edited May 9, 2009 in Finishing School
I downloaded a preset off the internet and now I am stuck. I have the folder on my desktop but I do not understand how to get the presets into CS4. What would my next step be? I have searched the Adobe help and can't seem to find the answer.

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 8, 2009
    I downloaded a preset off the internet and now I am stuck. I have the folder on my desktop but I do not understand how to get the presets into CS4. What would my next step be? I have searched the Adobe help and can't seem to find the answer.

Installing presets in PS is just a matter of dragging them into the proper folder and restarting the program. On a Windows system using CS3, look in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserNameGoesHere\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Presets

There are separate folders for curves, gradients, brushes, etc. I imagine there is a similar folder hierarchy on Mac systems.

HTH.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Installing presets in PS is just a matter of dragging them into the proper folder and restarting the program. On a Windows system using CS3, look in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserNameGoesHere\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Presets

There are separate folders for curves, gradients, brushes, etc. I imagine there is a similar folder hierarchy on Mac systems.

HTH.

After doing this where do I find them in Photoshop? I am using CS4, I looked under the preset manager and they are not there? Do I go under filters? Sorry to be so naive with this.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    After doing this where do I find them in Photoshop? I am using CS4, I looked under the preset manager and they are not there? Do I go under filters? Sorry to be so naive with this.

Where you find them (and which folder to put them in) depends on what the presets are for. If they are curves, the files must be put in the ...\Presets\curves folder and they should appear when you look at the presets dropdown box in the curves dialog. There are presets for many different types of things in PS; each type has its own presets folder and the presets appear in different places in the tool dialogs.

If you post a screen shot of the contents of the folder you have downloaded, we may be able to be more helpful...each preset type has a different filetype suffix.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Where you find them (and which folder to put them in) depends on what the presets are for. If they are curves, the files must be put in the ...\Presets\curves folder and they should appear when you look at the presets dropdown box in the curves dialog. There are presets for many different types of things in PS; each type has its own presets folder and the presets appear in different places in the tool dialogs.

If you post a screen shot of the contents of the folder you have downloaded, we may be able to be more helpful...each preset type has a different filetype suffix.

531493303_nZa6x-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    OK, those are Lightroom templates. I don't use LR, so I don't know whether these can be used with ACR in CS4. Hopefully one of the LR users may know.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    ok thanks, that makes more sense now :) Maybe someone else will offer up some help!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    ok thanks, that makes more sense now :) Maybe someone else will offer up some help!
    I don't use LR (not amynore), but google is my friend:
    http://lukeroberts.us/2008/07/how-to-import-camera-raw-presets-into-lightroom/
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I don't use LR (not amynore), but google is my friend:
    http://lukeroberts.us/2008/07/how-to-import-camera-raw-presets-into-lightroom/

I think the problem here is the reverse--convert LR templates to presets for ACR/CS4. headscratch.gif What's a template, anyway, and is it different from an ACR preset?
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    I think the problem here is the reverse--convert LR templates to presets for ACR/CS4. headscratch.gif What's a template, anyway, and is it different from an ACR preset?
    If it's an XML - should be doable. Otherwise it may not be feasible...
  • Options
    Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Howdy.

Go to the Lightroom Preset Manager.
    (Menu>File>Plug In Manager, Ctrl+Alt+Shft+,)

Click the "Add" button at bottom left. Follow the prompts.
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    I was hoping to just download them off the interenet into my CS4???
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    I was hoping to just download them off the interenet into my CS4???
    CS4 and LR are not *that* compatible...ne_nau.gif
    Can you try open one of these *.lrtemplate files in Notepad and, if you see it's a plain text, post it here? I can then compare it to ACR preset and tell you if it's possible to convert/use
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2009
    Can not figure this out, not sure what I am missing. I hear lots of people talking about downloading and using presets like it's so easy, I know once I get this it will all make sense, it just seems I am missing something obvious. Here is the link to the one I downloaded:

http://www.presetsheaven.com/2009/02/19/8-epic-lightroom-presets-for-weddings/

I got it off another thread here. I tried to open the files in notepad and nothing happened???

Here is the thread I got the link from:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=129986

I wonder if it's because I am still on my trial version of Lightroom???
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2009
    Can not figure this out, not sure what I am missing. I hear lots of people talking about downloading and using presets like it's so easy, I know once I get this it will all make sense, it just seems I am missing something obvious. Here is the link to the one I downloaded:

http://www.presetsheaven.com/2009/02/19/8-epic-lightroom-presets-for-weddings/

I got it off another thread here. I tried to open the files in notepad and nothing happened???

Here is the thread I got the link from:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=129986

I don't use LR, so I can't tell you about that.
    What I can tell you is that those templates look like they are JSON encoded. ACR uses XMP, which is an XML. Plus tags are quite different, so conversion from LR to ACR/PS is not trivial.

If you with the same version of LR as they are (I presume 2.x) you should be able to use them, trial or not. It's getting them into ACR/PS can be tricky..
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2009

Ah, so you have Lightroom. Then forget about all the geeky stuff Nik and I have been mumbling and just follow Lee's instructions. Those presets are for Lightroom, so you use them there. You can then open the pics in Photoshop CS4 for further tweaking.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2009
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me out, I really, really appreciate it

I tried Lee's way several times and when I opened the file, the presets that were in the file were not there, the file was blank???

I went back to the site where I got the presets and found a tutorial on how to import them. Of coarse it was so simple and they are now uploaded to my Lightroom

Here is the link to the tutorial.

Thanks again!!!