Destroyer of plants.... The Evil Weevil.

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited May 9, 2009 in Holy Macro
The Weevil, is a tiny beetle that does enormous damage to growing plants and stored grains. There are more than 40,000 known species of weevils. The mouthparts of a typical weevil are formed into a long snout. There is an antenna on each side of the snout. In a number of species, the snout is longer than the body, which seldom grows to half an inch (13 mm) in length.

Is the Weevil really evil? Yes, weevils are evil beetles—as far as gardeners and farmers are concerned. If the ladybird does good by eating other insects, the weevil does harm by eating plants.

Find them and quake, for your prized flower beds and vegetable patches are under potentially a war of attrition, and the weevil, so, evil, often wins...

This one was actually sat n the side of my composting bin, but I took it indoors and used a leaf from a Lily of the Valley plant to let it walk upon. In the first image here, it almost looks dead, but I have 2 more decents shots and in one you can see it is in a different pose.

I suppose it must have climbed out of the compost bin earlier (but as it grew cool tonight, it probably stayed in the place I found it) as it is clearly covered in dried soil. So that means there are probably more of the blighters in the bin too.

C&C as always encouraged.

Exif:

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
Image Date: 2009:05:08 22:27:47
Flash Used: Yes (Manual)
Focal Length: 105.0mm
CCD Width: 4.58mm
Exposure Time: 4.000 s
Aperture: f/13.0
ISO equiv: 800
White Balance: Manual