Question on Photo Shop Rules

KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
edited May 10, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hey,

I have read the rules, but I just want to be sure before diving in.. Up until now, the only photoshop I have done are the basics on my photo entries.. However, what I want to try and attempt for the "Energy" round, may take some extra photo shopping..

What is legal? are layers legal as long as anything you add to the photo in layers is "each subject or item" that you shot yourself? ( and shot within the two weeks) or are you allowed to import in other objects or vector art etc, etc..?

what is legal and what is not when it comes to photoshop?:scratch:scratch

please advise..

Thanks

Kat

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    IIRC, unless the challenge specifies otherwise, you can go nuts as long as you follow the rules set forth (ie: no borders on images.)

For example, in the recent book cover challenge, there was quite a lot of photo compositing, vector graphics for titles, etc.

If you use multiple images you should have valid EXIF info for each one, and they all need to be taken during the challenge period.
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Thanks Mark
    I need a little further direction here..

this is why..

here is a quote from the rules page

(Composite images must be composed entirely of fresh images, and must include exif from ALL of the images used.>

~ I am assuming a composite is any additional digital graphic included on a layer or otherwise into your image right?

So, this means we cannot use already existing images or digital media, vector art etc etc. in our layering?

for instance under the past galleries

greensquared- Stepping Through Time..

it looks like she shot each of these these frames separate, but that they are all her shots..

On the "Sherstone Book Cover Win", it is hard to tell if those are all objects he photographed and then photo=shopped in or not..

it seems to me that the rules suggest they all have to be original and fresh shot composites and that we have to submit the exif info with the final image to qualify.. so I am still a little confused on the boundaries..

Dont mean to be a pain here,, just want to make sure before I head into the work and do not want to get disqualified..

Kat
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    All your images, all taken during the challenge period, all EXIF linked.

For example, if a texture or what have you isn't yours, it cannot be used. If you photograph a texture during the challenge period, that's fine, you just need to include a link to the texture image.

Does that clear things up? thumb.gif
    edited May 8, 2009
    Thanks Kerry...
    Kerry,,

ok thank you.. that is what I was assuming. but just wanted to be sure.. so anything I include in the image >> layers or additional artwork, I must photograph myself and within the two week period too.. got it..

now the link EXIF info.. I will upload to a gallery on my smugmug account and grab the composite images from that gallery, however, how do I submit those links to the composites? do I send them to you personally?

thank you so much.. Katclap.gif

>>> and thanks Mark for getting my thread going as fast as possible.. I need to get busy on this project ASAP
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    For the EXIFs, I recommend you look at past challenge entries that were composites to see how they did it without being DQ'd.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    edited May 9, 2009
    Thanks
    Thanks Linda.

I looked it over... I appreciate the help.. By the way that was very creativerolleyes1.gif work...

Kat
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    Thanks Linda.

I looked it over... I appreciate the help.. By the way that was very creativerolleyes1.gif work...

Kat

Thanks. :D That was toned down version, too....rolleyes1.gif