Intro and Printer Suggestions

KnackersKnackers Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited May 9, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
G'Day,

I am a member of Smugmug (vomitorium) and ADVRider (Knackers) and our Epsom C61 just bit the dust. We don't usually print a lot of stuff out but really need to start doing it. The Epson was fine for a budget printer.

What I want to know is should we get a bubble jet or a laser printer for printing onto photo quality paper. Our budget is up to $500 Australian so $400 US is the tops and is sorta equivalant. Would like to keep it around $300 US if possible. I don't think we'll be printing larger than A5 size.

Have heard Epson in still the best. Any recommendations, as I am a real noob when it come to printers, and cameras.

Anyway, what is a post in a photography forum without a photo? Here is a shot of an endangered yellow tailed rock wallaby taken in the Flinders Ranges, SA, last year.

321877073_DbLct-L.jpg

And a few of us on the way and in Torres del Paine NP.

531631288_JsgEV-L.jpg

531631286_fogR4-L.jpg

531631276_eLbiP-L.jpg

Cheers.

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    IIRC, A5 is about 6x8 inches or so right?
    Anyway, I think inkjet is better than laser prints.
    Also now days, any photo printer that uses multiple inkjet cartridges should be fine. I bought a $200 Canon photo printer that can print upto a letter size and find the quality of the prints excellent. Some even have slots to accept memory cards and an LCD so you can do some minor editing on the printer directly.

I've also had an Epson printer but wasn't as happy with the color calibration, the colors just seemed off even though my monitor was calibrated. I'm sure you'll find others who are very happy with the Epson though. Personally, I'd stick to an entry level photo printer from Epson/Canon/HP.

Good luck.