Sorcerer's Phial

ZarathustraZarathustra Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited May 9, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Darkfield of a cool/funky bottle that I've had kicking around for years.

531630962_UZRjA-L.jpg

C&C welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    imho....you should ahve included the whoole bottle or cropped at the bottom of the 1st bulb....so it would look like the bottom of the bottle.

other than that....I really like it......very cooooool indeedclap.gif

thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifwings.gifbarbwings.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ZarathustraZarathustra Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Thanks for the critique! The bottle actually only has one bulb, that bit that I cut off is a reflection. The piece of black granite that I use for my darkfield shots is only 1'x1', so getting the whole bottle and reflection doesn't really work. Did I cut the reflection off in a funky place? When I get a larger sheet of granite then I'll reshoot it.
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    I think its outstanding... If I were to try and replicate this shot, I think it would take me some time and considerable effort.
    edited May 8, 2009
    Actually, it is dirt simple.

Here's a set up shot:

524448645_cfQFE-M.jpg

All you need is a softbox, a piece of black construction paper and a slab of polished black granite.

Give it a try and post your results!
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    This is a beautiful shot! I like it all the way. thumb.gifthumb.gifbowdown.gif

For your base, try different reflective surfaces and watch the results. For instance: Clear glass and a different color piece of paper underneath, mirror, etc. It's surprising what you'll discover. mwink.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    Very cool... thanks for telling me how it was accomplished. I have not tried any of that type of shooting yet.
    edited May 9, 2009
    Thank you eL eSs Vee and Roadkill! I'm happy that I helped to demystify the shot for you Roadkill. It is such an easy setup for the results that you can get with it. I'll have to take your suggestion and run with it, eL eSs Vee. I'm guessing that I can get some pretty neat effects with a single trip to Home Depot.