Two Rare Mercer Race Cars, Circa 1911

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited May 10, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
These beautifully restored Mercer Type 35 Raceabout cars are examples of the best there was in their day. They are powered by a side-valve T-Head 4 cylinder engine that puts out 50 HP. They had a 3-speed transmission and could reach 75 MPH. They were King of the Hill.

Some things to note:

The accelerator and other controls are mounted outside the cabin area.

There were no doors.

There was no formal windshield, instead note the " monocle " windscreen that is mounted on the steering column just in front of the steering wheel.

These things weighed in at 3200 lbs. and sold for $2250 when new.

532038620_NFjgE-XL.jpg

532038552_dgeDh-XL.jpg

532038583_ka3Wn-XL.jpg

532038599_DEuZj-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    Beautiful shots of some beautiful cars, Tom! These Mercer racers are one of the many reasons that brass is my favorite metal. Thank you for sharing.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    And no seat belts! :D These are awesome shots of two impressive vintage automobiles Tom. What a hoot it must have been driving one of these over the dirt highways and byways. It brings to mind Toad in "The Wind in the Willows" Thanks for giving us this glimpse into the wayback machine.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    Howdy Tom,

Beautifully Done, really love all the crisp and sharp details and colors.

Is this available light or are you "popping" a little flash in there?

Once again you've shown these beautiful works of art at their Finest.

Kindest Regards,

Craig
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    Hi Lee,

I wish there were some manufacturers who were bold enough to bring brass back into the design of their cars. There's too much of the same thing out there. Wishful thinking though, not likely to happen for various reasons.

See you,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited May 10, 2009
    Hi jack,

I'm really with you on this one: these things had to be a blast to roar around the countryside. Cars today, sadly, just don't require the same level of personal involvement.

Take care,

Tom
    edited May 10, 2009
    Hey Craig,

These were all shot with available light. The only modification I may make on site is the use of a polarizer....and that's limited to dealing with excess glare. I'm glad you like these.

Take care my friend,

Tom