Canon 20D and the dreaded Error 99...

StarrToDowlerStarrToDowler Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited May 9, 2009 in Cameras
Hello, all...

Was shooting a business event earlier today, and shooting inside a hotel ballroom: low lights, and using the flash on E-TTL with my set exposures, but all the images were coming out extremely dark. Something looked wrong, and even pushed ISO to 3200, and there was no improvement. It was like the flash was mis-timing from my camera. Just after this, the shutter started firing like crazy (it seemed much faster than the 5 fps it's supposed to max out at). I turned it off, but it continued to fire. Then pulled the battery compartment open, and again it clicked a few times.

So now this error won't go away. I've tried cleaning the contacts, changing to my other batteries, and anything else I can think of. Nothing will work. Seems to have some electrical short inside.

I assume it will need repairs. I'm wondering if it's worth it. Does anyone know if this is something that can be repaired, and since the camera is over 4 years old would repair be worth the cost?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 9, 2009
    It does rather sound like shutter failure and, depending on whether the mirror box might also need replacing as well, repairs might be between $250-$450USD.

Canon will send you an estimate of repairs for approval before attempting the repairs, so if you like the camera you might send it in just for the estimate. (I would send them a reminder that you want an estimate before repairs, just in case.)

KEH.com has used 20D bodies for $450-$500ish, but if you have both mirror box and shutter replaced in your camera that would cover most of the moving mechanisms in the camera.

Not an easy or clear choice I'm afraid.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • StarrToDowlerStarrToDowler Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    Thanks, Ziggy. I appreciate the quick response.

We'll see what happens...
    There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.