1.4 or 1.8, that is the question

joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited May 17, 2009 in Cameras
Hi there!

I like to get me a good indoor lens for my Nikon D80. I have been looking at the Nikon 50mm 1.4 and the 50 mm 1.8.

Since the difference between these lenses is just .4mm Does it justify expending extra $$$ to buy the 1.4? Basically I will be using this lens for taking photos of my new grandson, I would prefer not to use the flash, also I may be shooting some events at night were I may not be able to use flash.

Like always, any comments will be appreciated.

Joe :wave
www.jlm-photos.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 9, 2009
    joeinmiami wrote:
    Hi there!

I like to get me a good indoor lens for my Nikon D80. I have been looking at the Nikon 50mm 1.4 and the 50 mm 1.8.

Since the difference between these lenses is just .4mm Does it justify expending extra $$$ to buy the 1.4? Basically I will be using this lens for taking photos of my new grandson, I would prefer not to use the flash, also I may be shooting some events at night were I may not be able to use flash.

Joe wave.gif

There are actually several lenses you might consider (Nikkor lens names abbreviated):

These are arranged roughly in order of image quality at widest aperture (by a number of different measures and center sharpness is only one measure).

Sigma 50mm, f1.4 EX DG HSM
    Nikkor 50mm, f1.4G
    Nikkor 50mm, f1.8D
    Nikkor 50mm, f1.4D

The difference between an f1.4 lens and an f1.8 lens is 2/3rd of an f-stop. (The difference beween f1.4 and f2 would be a full stop.) The f1.4 will gather more light than will the f1.8, by around 2/3rds more.

The functional difference between all of these lenses is less than you might think. I would suggest the Nikkor 50mm, f1.8D just because it is a great lens at a value price and every Nikon shooter should probably have one. The f1.4 lenses are nice to have if you need them but if you don't know if you need it you may not need it.

I would not be concerned about using a flash, even with an infant. As long as you use indirect flash of some sort and maybe ISO 400 or 800, I don't think there is any substantial "startle".

Also see this:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=147527&postcount=10
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    I'd agree with Ziggy, go with the 1.8 and see how it works for you. If you feel like that extra bit of light would make a big difference, then go for one of the others. Worst case you could sell the 1.8 and probably lose no more than a few bucks in the whole process.

The 1.8 was my first post-kit lens, and I've been happy with it.
  • hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    joeinmiami wrote:
    Hi there!

Joe wave.gif

Joe
    My answer may seem a bit brunt but this is definetily one of those times where "if you have to ask, then you don't need it". On a more possitive side the 1.8 is an awsome lens, on a dollar to performance ratio the best Nikon makes. Get the 1.8 and enjoy photographing your grandson.
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    joeinmiami wrote:
    snip…

Since the difference between these lenses is just .4mm
    …snip
    Your apparent understanding of the difference between the two lenses tells me that in your case it most probably doesn't really matter too much; go with the least expensive solution. The f1.7 50mm lens is very good value…

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    I just got the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 based on Ziggy's suggestion that "every Nikon owner should have one." :D

I have not shot a lot with it yet but I am happy with what I've done so far. It's highly affordable and offers clear, crisp images with very nice background dropoff at the low f/stop end. IMO, it would be a very good buy for your needs.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    The answer is hidden as a secret message, encoded in the balance of your bank account. mwink.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • TizianoTiziano Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    I have the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM and a Sigma 28mm f/1.8.
    Most of the shooting I do with these lenses is indoors with ambient light. Sometimes it's of my grandson or nephew. In these cases I've noticed that at ISO400 and a shutter speed of 60 I get enough light at f/2 (and even a little narrower). Wider than that and the DOF is so short that I have trouble getting a usable picture of the kids.

My point is that, as everyone else has said, a 1.8 would work just fine.
    A Nikon D90 plus some Nikon, Sigma & Tokina lenses.
  • ban25ban25 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    I would consider the Nikon 35/1.8. The wider focal length may be a bit more suitable indoors and at $200, it's quite reasonably priced.
  • cpallencpallen Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Which Lens?
    I have a d80 and both the DX AFS-G 35mm f/1.8 and the AF-D 50mm f/1.8 and find them both to be useful shooting the kids. The 50mm lets you get in pretty tight for their facial expressions - particularly when they are coloring or watching tv, opening gifts, etc - without actually getting IN their face.

But sometimes with the 50 you can't back up enough - with the 35mm you can always crop. Physics-wise I think in reality that the 50mm is a little faster than the 35mm.

I tried out the 50mm f/1.4g and found that the depth of field is so shallow at 1.4 that (for my skill lkevel anyway) it's not a very useful capabilty for the extra $300 or so it would cost. Conversely, the 50mm D lens works great at 1.8, and if you need a little more a 3x5 card taped in front of on-camera flash as a diffuser helps alot without being harsh.

Just my 2 cents as a beginnier.

Courtney in Seattle