"New" D300 and 50mm f/1.4

Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
edited May 11, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
So here's my tale...2 months ago I decided to upgrade to the D300 but wanted to save a few bucks in the process. After doing due dilegence and finding good good reviews of other Nikon refurbed products, I decided to buy a refurb body from one of the large on-line stores.

Camera got here and all was well. Over the next few weeks, I took a lot of shots with the camera and was pretty happy with the upgrade over the D80. Then, I decided to add a grip and settled on the Link Delight one) To my dismay, when I received the grip, the shutter button on the grip would not work. Everything else on the grip worked - including focusing by depressing the grip shutter button. Of course I suspected the grip but the fact that everything else worked bugged me.

So...I made a quick trip to a local store to "try" a grip on the D300. Lo and behold - the shutter would not work. This confirmed my suspiction that the problem was with camera. I called Nikon Service just to make sure I wasn't doing anthing stupid (plus I was still inside the 90-day refurbed warranty). To my suprise, they told me that they would never recommend a refurbed body - only new. That suprised me a bit. I know a lot of people have had great experiences with Nikon refrubed products but needless to say, I arranged with the store to have mine returned and "upgraded" to a new body.

In the meantime, I acquired a 50mm f/1.4 lens from Unbrok3n. Here is the happy marriage of these two new pieces (nothing special)...
532630574_zx3u7-L.jpg

532634352_QTvW7-L.jpg
Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
www.mikejulianaphotography.com
Facebook

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    Hi Mike,

I find the use of the OOF technique, in the extreme, to be very distracting in these pictures. Both of these shots require a much larger area of sharp focus in my opinion. The shot of the girl, particularly in this case, should have her completely in focus. The blurred background is not an issue.....just a matter of choice.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    I disagree with the above poster. I love the blurred backgrounds, especially in the first picture. Just goes to show you that there are very few "right and wrongs" and a lot of personal "likes and dislikes". Sorry to hear about your D300...
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    mpriest13 wrote:
    I disagree with the above poster. I love the blurred backgrounds, especially in the first picture. Just goes to show you that there are very few "right and wrongs" and a lot of personal "likes and dislikes". Sorry to hear about your D300...

In the end, the D300 worked out so I'm not complaining too much...
    I agree about right and wrong and likes and dislikes.

I'm just starting to play with the 50mm f/1.4 and am intrigued by the possibilities. I know portraits with the DOF so shallow that parts of the face are out of focus can be a matter of taste. I wish I could find an older post about this style of portraits. I know someone had a link to someone whose style was built around this. Any help?
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook