Cloudy day flat lighting?

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited May 11, 2009 in People
I was taking some FREE family portraiture yesterday outside on a very overcast day. Big softbox in the sky. I have been trying natural light photos more outside and have been doing well with my dog and flowers but people? ugh.... This is an example of my efforts. I ended up addiing a little fill which after the fact now I see that I could have gotten away without it but are there any techniques for avoiding the super flat lighting on a cloudy day? (there was no time to get out my softbox for off cameral flash) What do you think of this picture (other than the distracting elements in the background, I will be getting rid of those....) Thanks for looking :bow

532763400_V2zZ3-L.jpg
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    The eyes are stunning....and I really like the texture of her hair.

The dress is a bit blown which would usually pull your eyes away from the subject, but the eyes are so stunning that I didn't immediately notice the dress. The muted selective coloring works here. thumb.gif

My non-expert eyes see no flatness in this photo.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    Certainly no expert here either, but I feel like the lack of color on her face might add to the flatness.

I have to admit that I'm not a fan of selective coloring here, I think I'd go for either full bw or full color, or maybe a faint sephia look. The colors of the flower and bow contrasted with the smooth and pale face just don't work for me.

Super cute shot though, and I actually like the background!
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    Precious child with great exppession. Gorgeous eyes. Like others it does seem a little flat in terms of color and exposure.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    What a cutie!! The eyes are just gorgeous.

I like the treatment overall and am not bothered by the bits of pink.

My thoughts, assuming you want to experiment - to be taken with a big grain of salt.

To give the face more pop, try using a selective color layer and adjust the black slider in blacks and neutrals to add contrast to taste.

As for the bright dress, a slight darkening of the bottom of the photo might help balance the photo and keep the viewer's eyes on the face (a sort of limited vingnette).

Also, just a touch of sepia would enhance vintage feel and suggest that the soft pinks are the last of the colors to withstand aging.

Or just leave it be. It is a lovely photo and a testament to the joys of using natures giant softbox!

Virginia

Email
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    I like the lighting here. Soft, overcast lighting like this is very flattering to children.

You may want to experiment with adding a light layer on "Multiply" which will give you some more "texture" to the skin.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    Agree with you. I hate the flat boring light of overcast days. Usually messes up the AWB and the colors are tough to get right to make them pop. Some like it b/c there is no harshness in the lighting, I don't.

I think your shot looks fine.