Shmutz on G9Sensor

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited May 11, 2009 in Cameras
While reviewing today's photos I noticed a dark spot on a few G9 images that suspiciously looks like spots I used to get on my 10D (love the sensor cleaner on 40D!).

I wouldn't have noticed it except for it's having been shot against the sky.

How can shmutz get into the G9, and what to do? (It's around a year old, and I think I purchased an extended warranty)

533344344_FTWjh-M.jpg

Thank you!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 10, 2009
    With a camera like the Canon G9, that has an attached lens, you would have to send it in for repairs and I'm not sure I can recommend that if there are no other problems with the camera. They would have to disassemble the camera and I'm not sure if it would be covered under your warranty (although it might be so feel free to check.)

You can deal with this issue using software and a "Clone Stamp" or "Healing Brush" tool.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    Thats a pretty big smudge to be on the sensor it seems (my sensor dust on the D50 looked smaller than that at 100%) so maybe gunk on the lens? I am not sure but its worth a try.
  • studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    It looks like there is another mark at the top left.
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    studio1972 wrote:
    It looks like there is another mark at the top left.

You're right.

On the scale of problems, this is on the low end, and yes, can be cloned out, and is only a problem when shooting against a big blank b.g such as sky. But I do like my stuff to be working properly (and with the proliferation of gadgets in my life, some days this is an up-hill battle).

Even after cleaning the lens, now that I know what to look for, the smudge is still there.

I will call Canon.

Thanks.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    If the Schmutz is on the sensor it should become less visible the more you open the aperature ... in this case I would send it to Canon for repair.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 11, 2009
    I had to send my G9 in to Canon - there's no easy solution to this one, unfortunately. The way the camera is built, they actually have to replace the sensor subassembly.

Although the process took some time (2-3 weeks from date of me dropping it off at the post office to time it came back to my house), it was quite easy and the camera came back good as new, all done under warranty.

Just go to Canon's Factory Repair website and follow the support links - it can all be done online, and you'll receive email confirmation from an actual human to your first request.

Mine looked like this, two nice big spots:

360608037_djGEz-M.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]