Mount Saint Helens

scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
edited May 14, 2009 in Landscapes
Climbed Mt St Helens this weekend. This was my first successful attempt since it re-opened to climbing after the volcanic activity of 2004-2006. It's certainly no picnic at 12 miles roundtrip and 5,500 feet of elevation gain but the ability to ride down from summit to trailhead is pretty sweet!

Unfortunately, the avalanche danger was high this weekend so I didn't spend more than 10 minutes on the summit and didn't even really know if my summit photos were exposed properly (too bright & windy).

1. Friday evening
533502044_Nw6WZ-L.jpg

533501512_CHUTY-L.jpg

3. Last light on the upper slopes
533501809_Cj3RE-L.jpg

4. A moonlit mountain @ 4am
532884811_DSHDQ-L.jpg

5. Crater panorama
533502451_72crt-XL.jpg

6. Detail of crater wall
533502462_YUcr7-L.jpg

I just realized while processing these photos that I forgot to reset my ISO back to 100 from 400 after taking the moonlit shot. Doh!

Thanks for looking..

Comments

• HDShooterHDShooter Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    Very cool!
    I've rode to windy ridge and flown in a private plane over, but would love to go to the crater edge.
    Nice moon light shot.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    The crater panorama shot is a stark reminder of just how much of the mountain top was blown off....really unbelievable. Nice shot.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    Great shots. I haven't been up that mountain in a few years. These are good reminders that I'm missing out. Nice to see how the crater mound has changed since the last eruption. I've seen a few pics from the USGS and they show the new mound and glacier (still clinging on). I had a few close looks in the crater before and find it to be a very powerful area (for obvious reasons).
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    Very nice series scole!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Thanks for the comments. In a perfect world, I wish I could have spent a little more time up on top composing shots but there's always next year. Unless it erupts. :D
  • VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Good photos, thanks for sharing!
    I haven't made there yet, myself but it's on my "to climb" list :D
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Ha, I've done the ISO thing before too. Usually I notice about 10-15 exposures afterward :D #1 and #5 are my favorites, very nice! I've only been to St. Helens to shoot photographs once, I need to get back there (and Mt. Adams too).
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Great shots. #5 is my favorite. I have never been there; I'm gonna have to add it to my "must see" list.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Thanks Kristine, Ron..