Options

Geotagging advice

tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
edited May 11, 2009 in Finishing School
I hope this is the correct forum
I have a a 350D, and the camera is GPS synced according to India time(UTC + 5:30).
MY GPS dumps track logs in UTC

I try gpictsync from google code, and am unable to geotag photos. I think the problem is with the date format.
GPX file has 2009-05-05 kind of date, and cam has DDMMYYYY data.

So is there any other software which is more configurable.
I need it to do the following
1. Apply UTC offset
2. I can give date format for gpx and cam
After that it should dump GPS coord info in the EXIF so that I can easily view it via smugmug map thingy

Comments

• Options
    rhjfrhjf Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    What OS are you using? (It looks like GPicSync is multi-platform.)
    Do you use any photo library software? (e.g. Aperture or Lightroom)

I've been experimenting with this stuff over the last few weeks; I use Aperture (on Mac OS X). One thing which does crop up fairly regularly in the stuff I've read is that you should set your camera to GMT, regardless of your current location, since all GPS loggers will log in GMT. In fact, the more exactly you can set your camera to 'GPS time', the better.

If you are using OS X I might be able to give you some more specific suggestions.
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    I was able to work out gpicsync!
    I just gave UTC offset of 5.5 and everthing works :)
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    so much easier to just purcahse NIKON and do it in camera .....as the shutter cliks:Dwings.gifbarbwings.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website