Lens choice for landscapes (Iceland)?

paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
edited May 11, 2009 in Landscapes
I'm going to spend a week hiking around in Iceland next month, and I am trying to narrow down my equipment to two lenses if possible. I'll carry a Canon EF-S55-250mm telephoto. For my walk-around lens, I'll carry either a Canon EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS or a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (fixed). My camera is an XTi, so the crop factor is 1.6. Leaving aside the better IQ of the Tamron, the trade-off is the moderate wide-angle of the Canon vs. the greater speed and therefore greater DOF of the Tamron (the speed is more my concern). I have not done much in the way of landscapes for years, so I am curious whether anyone who does more has any advice.

Thanks

Dan

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    paddler4 wrote:
    I'm going to spend a week hiking around in Iceland next month, and I am trying to narrow down my equipment to two lenses if possible. I'll carry a Canon EF-S55-250mm telephoto. For my walk-around lens, I'll carry either a Canon EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS or a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (fixed). My camera is an XTi, so the crop factor is 1.6. Leaving aside the better IQ of the Tamron, the trade-off is the moderate wide-angle of the Canon vs. the greater speed and therefore greater DOF of the Tamron (the speed is more my concern). I have not done much in the way of landscapes for years, so I am curious whether anyone who does more has any advice.

Thanks

Dan

You are taking a tripod with you I hope......I trekked all over the Czech Republic with a Bogen/Manfroto 3 section attached to my backpack and it was too tall.....got home sold it and purchased a Giottos 4 section ...now I can walk thru doors and not have to worry too much about banging it into everthing..........that said......

I would opt for the wide canon lens....makes getting the landscpes a bit easier and you may still want to shoot in portrait orientation and stitch your magnificient landscapes together to get everything inthem you want.......but with the tammy my guess is you wouldhave no choice but to stitch nearly everyone.....

3rd option....rent a wider lens ....say a 10-20 from BORROW LENSES .com
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• LaurieHLaurieH Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    I'm with Art... go with the wider lens. Iceland's landscapes are really REALLY wide. You're going to LOVE Iceland! It's an amazingly beautiful place.
    Let the beauty of what you love be what you do. - Jalal ad-Din Rumi

SmugMug Galleries - photos.39degreesnorth.net
    Blog - 39degreesnorth.net/blog
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    Thanks. These are helpful comments