Options

Canon T1i Pictures

One Red FrogOne Red Frog Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited May 12, 2009 in Cameras
I received in my T1i last week and starting taking shots. I noticed that the results always looked washed out. So I experimented with my original Canon Rebel 300 and compared. I used the same 18-55 lens that came with the T1i, same f/stop, same speed, and the T1i still gave results that did not compare. This shot was done in the shade so there was no direct sun. This is definitely not my greatest shot, but this was only for color purposes. I also just tried the pre-made functions for closeup (Flower) and the results were terrible. Take a look at the last pic. I would have thought that the T1i would do as the other cameras that I have used, that if you select a mode, you should probably get a pretty decent picture, at least that what I was hoping for for my wife when she picks it up. I geat great results from my old Rebel 300, and when I borrowed a Canon 20d, but not on the T1i. Does anyone have any ideas on this or is it just a defective unit???
Thanks!

T1i: 532726679_7kEEV-M.jpg
Canon
Canon EOS REBEL T1i
top/left
Microsoft Windows Photo Gallery 6.0.6001.18000
2009-05-09 17:41:05

[Camera]
1/60"
F5
Manual
Version 2.21
2009-05-09 17:16:31
2009-05-09 17:16:31
5.91 TV
4.64 AV
±0EV
F5.19
Pattern
Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
45mm
Normal process
Manual exposure
Auto white balance
Normal

Rebel: 532211463_CmFUL-M.jpg
Canon
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
2009-05-09 17:34:31

[Camera]
1/60"
F5
Version 2.21
2009-05-09 17:05:35
2009-05-09 17:05:35
5.91 TV
4.64 AV
±0EV
F5
Pattern
Flash did not fire, auto mode
41mm
One-chip color area sensor
DSC
Normal process
Auto exposure
Auto white balance
Normal

And this was done with the closeup preset...
532726080_7sxRC-M.jpg
Canon EOS REBEL T1i
top/left
2009-05-09 17:05:58

[Camera]
1/40"
F5
Not defined
Version 2.21
5.38 TV
4.63 AV
±0EV
Pattern
Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
39mm
7290 Byte

0.10"
Version 1.0
sRGB
Normal process
Auto exposure
Auto white balance
Normal

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    I assume that you are comparing JPEG out of the camera? You really should compare RAW and see if there are any dramatic issues with RAW, like underexposure.

I suspect the difference here is simply the defaults around Picture Styles in the Ti1. The Ti1 utilizes Canon's Picture Styles, to provide much more configuration of JPEG output, as well as influence some settings for RAW in DPP. Neither the 300 nor the 20D has Picture style. Instead they have more limited JPEG settings.

I also think the Picture Styles vary by camera setting, such as P, Tv, Av, or the other settings.

Your last image appears overexposed. It is shot at 1/40 f/5, while the others are 1/60 f/5.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2009
    Thanks for your input. I agree that the last is over exposed, but I thought it would at least handle the Close Up Mode a little better. When I use the same mode on the Rebel 300, it comes out so much better. Kind of tough to figure out if this is the nature of the beast or there is something wrong with it.

I have a bunch of my other photos on oneredfrog.smugmug.com that were done with the older Rebel, and never ran into this problem before...
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    I recommend you change the picture style on your new camera and see if it is more to your liking. Check your manual as to how to change picture styles
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,916 moderator
    edited May 11, 2009
    One Red Frog, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I suggest much more testing before making any conclusions.

Oddly, I'm not sure that the "Macro" mode on the newer cameras is necessarily what I would recommend and certainly not what I would choose. I'm not sure what exposure decisions the camera makes but it doesn't look like it is appropriate for flowers.

Try Av mode instead and choose an f-stop based on how much DOF you desire. Also learn how to read the histogram and blinkies to avoid over exposure and then use the EV compensation to adjust the tones into an acceptable range if possible. I suggest evaluative metering for this sort of image.

RAW format will give you that extra bit of dynamic range and Highlight Tone Priority will help with preventing blown highlights.

I know you were probably hoping for the ability to use a "simple" mode and let the camera handle settings for your wife, but I don't have much confidence in those modes myself. Once your wife understands the basic controls and how to "read" the histogram and blinkies and what to do to compensate, I bet she will surprise you with some awesome images. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Looking at the first two shots, the first shot seems a touch over exposed and there seems to be a difference in the white balance. I know that the exposure settings were identical but the actual light sensitivities (esp. actual ISO's) can be different than the stated.

That would explain why the colors look warmer and more saturated to me.

As for resolution, I can't say on small images without seeing a 100% crop.

I'd probably take more shots and see how it performs. It's fairly easy to adjust the exposure and the wb, so I personally would not be put off by what you are seeing.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for the information. I will go ahead and run another batch of test shots with your recommendations. I am still on the border of sending this back and getting a 40d before they go away, but this camera has some features I really like and hope I can get some of these items resolved.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2009
    I ran out at lunchtime and tried some of the suggestions. I did shoot in RAW, and it seems that not letting the T1i take over and basically setting the AV on this test, I did achieve better results that make me feel better about what the camera is able to do.

Now I need to get out and really do some testing...Thanks Again! :D

534866431_uwhyf-L.jpg

534866471_ZLa4K-L.jpg
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,916 moderator
    edited May 12, 2009
    Looking good. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums