Options

LR2: File Extention question

Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
edited May 12, 2009 in Finishing School
So some of my photos say they are CR2 + JPEG. Obviously, there is a CR2 RAW file AND a JPEG file on my ext. hard drive. However, in LR, there only shows one photo with the file extension CR2 and JPEG. How can I make LR see them as two separate files w/o obviously removing them from my catalog and re-importing them separetely? Also, how did they get stacked anyways? I never shoot in RAW+JPEG so... Oooh...stacks. I remember seeing something about that in my new book, though I haven't gotten to that part yet. Does that have anything to do with it?

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    So some of my photos say they are CR2 + JPEG. Obviously, there is a CR2 RAW file AND a JPEG file on my ext. hard drive. However, in LR, there only shows one photo with the file extension CR2 and JPEG. How can I make LR see them as two separate files w/o obviously removing them from my catalog and re-importing them separetely? Also, how did they get stacked anyways? I never shoot in RAW+JPEG so... Oooh...stacks. I remember seeing something about that in my new book, though I haven't gotten to that part yet. Does that have anything to do with it?

Thoughts?

Thank you.
    To get LR2 to treat RAW and JPEG files separately, I think you need to go to the Edit -> Preferences menu. Go to the import tab and make sure the "Treat JPEG Files Next Raw..." entry is checked. I'm not sure what it will do for all of the files that you already have imported...
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Well that should fix any future problems. Thank you for the tip.

Any ideas on how to fix all the other ones? I have no idea how many there are. I can't do a search with the terms "CR2+JPEG". No results come up.
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Well that should fix any future problems. Thank you for the tip.

Any ideas on how to fix all the other ones? I have no idea how many there are. I can't do a search with the terms "CR2+JPEG". No results come up.
    I assume that your JPEGs are in your file structure already and they were stored in the same place as your RAW files. If so, couldn't you just go to the top of your file structure and do an import using the add to catalog but don't move option? If you make sure the Do not import suspected duplicates that your RAW files won't be added again. The only problem I see is if you have files in your HD structure that are not already in your LR catalog and you don't want them there. This method would pick up everything that is not in your catalog.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook