TX Hill Country Road Trip - C&C Welcomed

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited May 20, 2009 in Landscapes
Waking up with an uncharacteristic burst of energy, I took off for a short tour of the Texas Hill Country area around Vanderpool, Utopia, and Lost Maples State Natural Area. It's an area I'd been wanting to visit, thinking about possibly buying a weekend retreat. It was beautiful indeed--I hope to take my husband on a repeat visit soon, maybe to check out some places for sale. :thumb

Real estate shopping aside, I really enjoyed my little trek--complete with wildflowers, a lavender farm, lots of bikers sharing the road, and some great-tasting chocolate meringue pie! For my complete journey, feel free to check out my newest gallery: http://redleash.smugmug.com/gallery/8160752_9qRS4#533437100_ZM24h.

Here are some of the highlights. I actually caught some decent morning light, though not early enough to be "golden." I also tried to improve my compositions. I'd appreciate some C&C on these or the complete set in the gallery.

NOTE: These are not all landscapes; if this should be in the Journeys forum, please move it.

Thanks,
Lauren

1. Sky is not great but this is a typical scene from the trip.
533437100_ZM24h-L.jpg

2. A little Orton effect for the vineyard gates
533509768_k4ywD-L.jpg

3. This guy came closer but I liked this view of his setting.
532639884_E2ixd-L.jpg

4. No need for these signs in recent memory. :cry
533457576_iqV2A-L.jpg

5. Tried to get low for this one. This is the Sabinal River.
533477907_qWi7B-L.jpg

6. A little reptilian companionship
533474100_pKeiw-L.jpg

7. One of the few splashes of wildflower color this spring
534136532_qzrEG-L.jpg

8. A recently opened lavender farm - and a little more Orton
534145932_kmzY4-L.jpg

9. There is always a barbed wire fence - after all, this is Texas!
534531866_bSL99-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Hi Lauren,

Thanks for sharing these pictures. I lived in Austin during the mid 70's and came to really love the Hill Country. That area still remains one of my favorite parts of our great country. I trailer my motorcycle over there to ride those hills as often as I can.

Keep up the good work.....I see real growth in your photographic abilities.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Thanks, Tom. I'm glad you enjoyed the "tour." Feel free to look me up any time you are back this way. And thanks for the compliment about my efforts. I am really trying to work hard at improving.

I pick up so many great tips and suggestions on DGrin--it's AWESOME! Thanks, Andy and everyone who makes this such an incredible experience!!! thumb.gif

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Adam SchallauAdam Schallau Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    In a past life I lived in Boerne (went to High School there) and San Antonio. I loved the Hill Country, especially the area around Vanderpool, Lost Maples and Garner State Park.

I think your images look great, but I really like the shot looking through the flowers with the road in the distance. Thanks for sharing.

Adam Schallau

Website | Facebook | Grand Canyon Photography Workshops | In the Bag

photographing the landscape, culture and spirit of the American West
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Thanks, Adam. That one is my favorite also. I have some more shots of that view but haven't processed them yet. I'll post anything good.

Look me up if you get out this way again!! By the way, Boerne has just built a second high school, right on Hwy 46 as you get into town from the east. (My mom leaves out 46 past Bergheim, so I'm in Boerne a lot.)

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com