Options

Just starting photography

KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
edited May 13, 2009 in Sports
My wife got me a camera for Christmas, and I am just starting photography (pretty much a complete newbie). On May 2nd I did a photo shoot at our local switchback (motocross), this is my first attempt at action photography. I feel some of the pictures came out fairly well, but I am new to this stuff. I am pretty serious about trying to sell pictures online and would be appreciative of any help that could be offered.

I was reading in another thread about not giving pictures away. I went and had printed 48 pictures (the better ones of course) and was thinking handing them out this coming Saturday at the next event and putting the web address on the back of them. I am not very outgoing and thought this might be a good way to get started.

I have not fully developed a site yet, but I did put up a page to order from, although it is not complete, I have to change the cart as it refers to another one of my sites.

The pictures can be seen at http://www.wcoins.com/photography/cat.php I would be interested in knowing what shots would sell best. I shot from the 'side lines'. I did not ask to go on the track. This is my first time at a motocross event, and had no idea what to expect.

Thanks,
Kelly

Comments

• Options
    rmwphotormwphoto Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Croping
    The pictures are good !
    1st thing i would do is crop some them.
    What camera and lens do you have?
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Instead of giving away photos, print some business cards or flyers with the images on it. Give those away.
    If you get the money shots, sell away.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2009
    rmwphoto wrote:
    The pictures are good !
    1st thing i would do is crop some them.
    What camera and lens do you have?
    I have a Nikon d90 with a 70-200 VR lens. I was thinking about cropping them, I had done some and they looked a whole lot better.

Steve,
    I guess I will have to print up some business cards and become a little more outgoing. I also thought about carrying a small portfolio of some of the images to show and maybe just sell some of those too. I can easily replace them.

Here a few that I cropped.
    6.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2009
    Great Shots!!
    Those are great shots!!
    I had about 10 8x10's of pictures i liked that i was going to keep
    for myself.
    Brought them to the track and sold 9 of them and got a order for
    5 5x7's.
    I made up some simple cards that had my name,e-mail and website.

You got great shots Kelly shouldn't have any trouble selling them.
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2009
    rmwphoto wrote:
    Those are great shots!!
    I had about 10 8x10's of pictures i liked that i was going to keep
    for myself.
    Brought them to the track and sold 9 of them and got a order for
    5 5x7's.
    I made up some simple cards that had my name,e-mail and website.

You got great shots Kelly shouldn't have any trouble selling them.

Thanks, I think that I got lucky for my first time out shooting. I will have to finish working on the site and get it ready for the weekend. I guess I have to spend some time cropping images and making some larger prints to see how the go. I did not shoot all of them in large mode. I only had an 8 gig memory card with me, and as many shots as I was going through, I bumped it down to medium so I would have room. As it turns out I could have got all the shots on the card in the large format (I got a little pickier about what I was shooting).

Kelly
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2009
    One thing the pro's tell me practice,practice and more practice lol.
    I think 50% of it is skill and the other 50% is luck.

Like i said before the job these guys have would be my dream job.
    3396333561_97255a6a11_o.jpg
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2009
    rmwphoto wrote:
    One thing the pro's tell me practice,practice and more practice lol.
    I think 50% of it is skill and the other 50% is luck.

Like i said before the job these guys have would be my dream job.

bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Not sure if it would be my dream job, but I would like to make some money at it so I could afford the habit. You know... new lenses, try a new body, be able to travel. Well maybe a dream job.

Thank for the help, I shall see how things go this weekend weather permitting.
    Kelly