MC4 An idea

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited May 14, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Not a very GOOD idea, but since it's the first thing I've come up with I'm gonna post it anyway to convince myself that I"m doing something (well, I'm DOING lots of things - catching up from last week's total write-off, processing the double-shoot from Saturday, and getting my students through recitals, finals and juries - just nothing Challenge-ish!!!).

Anyway.

Title something along the lines of "A More Innocent Age" or "Fill 'er up" or something like that. A total wash, or worth working on further?

The crop is kind of necessary, alas - way too many distractions around to clone or minimise.

534754856_4iGoW-L.jpg

Comments

• HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    It's an elegant, well-composed shot. The connection to the theme, however, is tenuous.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    if she had her headlights on i would connect it to energy....
    Aaron Nelson
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    hmm
    well, I think it is a creative shot... i like the colors and the historical feel of it....

however, perhaps you need to give the lights up front some life so that it fits the theme a little better....

sounds like you have been one busy bee....rolleyes1.gif

I almost have my submission ready for post for C&C
    This will actually be the first one I had time to work on for an entire week... so I know the feeling....

Didn't you say last week was your first paid shoot? hopefully we get to see some of those shots, was it in studio or natural portraiture outside on location?

Best of Luckclap.gif
    Kat
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    I'm gonna have to agree..not really seeing much of a connection with the theme on this one. But don't worry, your not the only one drawing a blank :twitch
    edited May 12, 2009
    Another One
    wow.. another one drawing a blank? man the judges knew what they were doing when picking this theme.... you know it was difficult for me the first week.. over 500 shots and nothing...finally got it, but up to that point nothing.. you know I actually shot E=MC2 with some old Christmas lights just in case I came up with nothing else.:ivar..lol

Well Good Luck... Maybe it will be a Eureka moment this week?
    Maybe we need a "Brainstorm Thread"
    Kat
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    I can easily light up the headlights (Photshop, how I love thee...)

Watch this space.

My only other ideas - which I haven't yet had time to shoot - are so banal that I almost cringe, but we'll see.

Oy.
    edited May 12, 2009
    Didn't you say last week was your first paid shoot? hopefully we get to see some of those shots, was it in studio or natural portraiture outside on location?
    Kat

Both, in fact - thread here

And thanks for the birthday wishes for my young'un! She's 11 (going on 15rolleyes1.gif) and I managed to haul myself out of the sickbed long enough to make sure she had a nice day. Her birthday ALWAYS falls in one of the busiest times of the year for us so we tend to spread it out across several days, and she got thoroughly spoiled rotten by friends and family alike. thumb.gif

Ok, back to the grind....
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    divamum wrote:

And thanks for the birthday wishes for my young'un! She's 11 (going on 15rolleyes1.gif) and I managed to haul myself out of the sickbed long enough to make sure she had a nice day. Her birthday ALWAYS falls in one of the busiest times of the year for us so we tend to spread it out across several days, and she got thoroughly spoiled rotten by friends and family alike. thumb.gif

Happy Birthday your your "young'un" !

Yes, give some more excitement to your beautiful shot :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited May 12, 2009
    wow
    divamum wrote:

I am glad your daughter's b-day went so well and that you managed to pull it off despite not feeling well, "the power of mom"... I looked at your recent shoot.. very nice.... I had my first one about 2 months back, and I have to agree that posing turned out to be very challenging..

Katrolleyes1.gif
    edited May 13, 2009
    I have one last thought for it, but it requires another image; we'll see if that plays out. In the meantime, a different version, with "lit" headlights - any better?

535591112_2PHyz-L.jpg
    edited May 13, 2009
    too much
    too much brown now... it darkened it and took away from the bright energetic appeal...

Kat
    edited May 14, 2009
    Ok, back to the drawing board... I kinda liked the vintage look, but if it's too dark then that won't work (is your monitor calibrated? Just wondering - mine is, but I still do'nt trust it...)

I just can't believe that this MC fell across two of my busiest weeks this year - I just don't have the TIME to figure this out!!!
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    My monitor isn't calibrated, but I tend to agree that it looks darker. The thing is there isn't any more detail in the first one, but I think the black car and shiny chrome made it seem lighter.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Ok, back to the drawing board... I kinda liked the vintage look, but if it's too dark then that won't work (is your monitor calibrated? Just wondering - mine is, but I still do'nt trust it...)

I just can't believe that this MC fell across two of my busiest weeks this year - I just don't have the TIME to figure this out!!!

Try that action I sent you some time ago. mwink.gif
    edited May 14, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Try that action I sent you some time ago. mwink.gif

That's what I used...... :Drolleyes1.gifrofl
    edited May 14, 2009
    Hey Diva
    divamum wrote:

Well, I have done a walk through calibration on my monitor online, but I don't have a digital calibration device yet...

let me further expound on what I meant..

it is the grill... it lost its detail in the lines and towards the bottom the brown looks hazy or blurry... I still have to cast my vote for the black and white one.. sharper detail... but that's just one opinion out of many... so go with your gut.....

Don't know if you saw my recent post, but I just sunk a lot of work into one that just is not going to work either... so, I know your pain......:cry

The brown one would work if you could just protect the grill area when processing the effect... maybe protect it and then go back and select it with the selection tool and then process it separately with the same effect but on a layer so that you can adjust the fill and opacity of the effect..?

Kat
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    That's what I used...... :Drolleyes1.gifrofl

rolleyes1.gifHow about lightening the photo a tad first and then running it again?
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Diva, did you use a brush or something on the headlights? me no likie at all... i think you should try a quick select tool and curves to get them with sharp edges and brighter... and the second version does not have the clarity the first does (which IMO made it attracting)
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 14, 2009
    Diva, did you use a brush or something on the headlights? me no likie at all... i think you should try a quick select tool and curves to get them with sharp edges and brighter... and the second version does not have the clarity the first does (which IMO made it attracting)

I think that's from the action - it puts age "spots" on it and does diffuse the edges in the process, and I think that's what you're seeing. Agreed.

Linda, I was thinking about exactly that (ie lightening then running it again)

In the meantime have another mediocre idea for feedback - hopefully one of these can be worked through to "not embarrassing" even if not "megawow" rolleyes1.gif