Women Who Beach, Women all ages seaside.......

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited June 10, 2005 in People
Yesterday, I have some boys, but women, the beach is a gold mine, women of all ages. I was looking for something for the danger challenge, looking at what I have, I realized that I have women being women. by ginger

24450323-L.jpg

24469966-L.jpg

24469169-L.jpg

24450336-L.jpg

24439682-L.jpg

24439690-L.jpg

not to be forgotten are the women who work at the beach. Totally focused, totally.

I have more women, I would like to share, all ages.......... Do we have enough Women Who Beach to make a "fest", a summer fest?

Join me. I also have some boys, I deleted my "man", he was less interesting, to me, but I can start a "Men Who Beach" thread, also.

24455405-L.jpg

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    I'd have to travel south
    people up by us are in wetsuits the water is so cold. Occasionally an unsuspecting tourist will come to the beach in a swimsuit but they learn fast!

I'd have a better chance at Santa Cruz where the water is just barely bearable, it's a college town and the weather is usually warmer.

Nice photos though, it seems so strange to see people in bathing suits rolleyes1.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    Thanks, Dee, for the response, nice!

And it is funny, haha?, about the weather. I cannot imagine that there are photographers out there, nature ones, who are not so hot and dehydrated that their photos are suffering, their spouces are suffering, etc. I literally thought I would not make it back from the beach yesterday afternoon. But the people, they were gems, the water looked glorious, though a bit rough. Just right for body surfing.

Those bathing suits were genuine. It hit this week. Monday almost killed me, and it has been downhill from there. The camera w lens, the long one, I could focus it last week, this week, I have trouble holding it.

But the funny part is that I cannot imagine that it is "really" different for others. That is fantastic, you can keep shooting. If I were smart I would make it a weekly thing. Maybe take the dogs to the beach in the morning, they are suffering, too. last year we beached, early. This year I am up all night. But my photography is really suffering.

My problem is, I want to follow these bird families through.............til the kids leave home. And that leads me to other things I want to do. The challenge took me to the beach, not the birds. The women were a gift, just delightful, especially the older two women in white hats. I might work up more shots on them. They paid no attention to me, I had a long lens of some sort on. My memory might be going, too. I would think it would have been no longer than the 70-200. Whatever it was, they did not notice me, though I did not hide.

I thought it was so "yesterday" in time.

thanks for responding, ginger

does it get warmer? later?
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 9, 2005
    Though I'm sure the subjects wouldn't be to happy with it (as it isn't very flattering), the 2nd pic is very nice thumb.gifthumb.gif I also like the composition, color, contrast and sharpness of the last shot.

Good work Ginger clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited June 9, 2005
    Thanks, Steve!

I love those women with white hats, just love them. But they should be skirted down to the ankles, or something (too hot?). They have bodies appropriate to their age. Most of us would not show them, I don't. I go to the beach in shorts, different agendas now. Wish I were so uninhibited to spend a day in a bathing suit, riding the waves, I am a good body surfer.

They were as women out of the past. One was so excited about her shell pieces, she was crawling through people to get them.

The life guards are so colorful. I cannot imagine them maintaining that focus all summer.

It was a bit rough, there is a pier, not to swim near there, that was one of the preoccupations of the lifeguard. She was blowing the horn in her hand constantly.

I have a photo of a child swimming by the pier (maybe just to try her patience). That is a true, real, danger shot.
    Not the one I put on my danger thread. Real danger is hard to show, for me. In fact, real disaster is not usual visible.

ginger

Steve, you are wonderful. All over the forums making folks here feel good!:D thumb.gif
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2005
    Hi Ginger,
    I'm glad they were there and glad you got a pic of them. So they aren't magazine cover girls, that's ok (I'm not one either, probably because I'm a guy:D). It's wonderful to see them having such a good time and not worried about what others may thinkclap.gif. Your shots are a nice commentary on what seems to have been an enjoyable day for you. I believe you've captured some special moments in several peoples live. These are the kind of shots that are nice to share with the people being photographed, but, alas, who are they?

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 10, 2005
    The first and last shots have nice classic composition. The last with the sun
    behind the guard's head is nice. Again, both have good color and contrast.

You might float #1 for kpotd.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited June 10, 2005
    Ian, I thought about that, but they are "people". They don't have faces, but if they were to see themelves, I think they would just die and think they were humiliated etc.

That would be OK with me, but I don't have releases.

If the faces are not there, like this, where does that put them legally?

What would you think? I am thinking of working most of the shots of them up, maybe I could just put the question out there.

ginger
    edited June 10, 2005
    Chris, I don't have to "know" people to find what they do at times interesting. Granted some are more interesting than others.

But I had a rotten day. It was hot, I came from an appt with the doctor, a prescription thing, but he wants me to do PT, and I don't want to.

I have been hotter than usual, probably started with getting dehydrated on Monday.

I turned the a/c on this afternoon and slept for 6 hours, not how I wanted to spend today, but my dog was not even moving, it is hot here. I like the beach, but I felt terrible.

It is really not a reflection of my day. It was more of a reflection of..........curiosity about women. Especially the one group of girls which I think could use more contrast. And the older "ladies". They were unusual, I thought, but not, too.

those two aspects made me think of women, women in the south particularly, except I don't know if all those women are southerners, but books about women are big in my life, novels, etc. Women writers, I just found those two groups interesting, then added some others that I liked for whatever reason.
    Since this is a people thread, I put them on it.

Are they that bad???

ginger
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2005
    I like them Ginger.. I really like number three, the group of girls sittingin the sand talking.. very tender..
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2005
    Ginger!
    Spasibo for wonderful serial!
    Is it true, that men in small swimming trunks break convenances?
    Yuri
    edited June 10, 2005
    Ginger!
    Spasibo for wonderful serial!
    Is it true, that men in small swimming trunks break convenances?
    Yuri
    I don't know, have not seen men in small suits, may be true, but I have not heard. Silly thing to worry about in this day and age, IMO.

That would make a good series too. Probably would have to be done on the weekend. There are good looking young guys on those kite type things. Then I could do the old men. This is an unusual time in Charleston, a thing called a Spoleto festival (the arts), brings more tourists, also draws locals, so I don't know which is at the beach, or when.

Am taking my dogs out today. To the dog park.

Thanks for stopping and for the nice comment, Yuri.
    That means a lot from you, I love your work.

ginger
    edited June 10, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    I like them Ginger.. I really like number three, the group of girls sittingin the sand talking.. very tender..
    Thanks, Lynn. They remind me of the books like the "Ya Ya Girls"........
    Or the books about women who have been friends for years, meet once a yr, or join bookclubs together.

So much women't lit out there now. I read some of it, and those girls, well, I saw and was interested in them first. What is their story? What will it be?
    Will they be seeing each other in 50 yrs? Etc.

Then the ladies in white hats, I swear, I have never personally seen any real people like them. They were like retired nuns, twins, or some strange species. Really together, joined in some way. May be DNA, or may be by a life story, but they fascinated me.

(Funny thing is that I probably would not like them, nor they me, and I could be wrong.)

But their story?

And in photography, we are often left to wonder, or to make it up ourselves.

g

thanks so much for commenting lynn.

I am really using that Ben Willmore book, with some birds and photos. I think of you a lot. I sure wish I had paid you! sorry (It has become just about my most useful book)

(you are a nice woman, smile)
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 10, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks, Steve!

I love those women with white hats, just love them. But they should be skirted down to the ankles, or something (too hot?). They have bodies appropriate to their age. Most of us would not show them, I don't. I go to the beach in shorts, different agendas now. Wish I were so uninhibited to spend a day in a bathing suit, riding the waves, I am a good body surfer.

They were as women out of the past. One was so excited about her shell pieces, she was crawling through people to get them.
    Ginger,
    I disagree with you about those women needing skirted suits. I did not find them at all unattractive, I just thought (knowing women as little as I do) that they'd probably be a bit self conscious if they saw these pics. Blame the media for that eek7.gif When's the last time your dear hubby asked you "Hey, do these pants make my butt look big?" rolleyes1.gif We all spend too much time worrying about what other people think instead of having fun. These ladies looked to be having a ball clap.gif As you mentioned, one of them was crawling through other people looking for her shell pieces (like Toodles in Peter Pan.....I've lost my marbles). That's one of the things that makes that image so appealing to me :D They remind me of little kids in mature bodies. Kinda of like the normal adult male......lol :lol We may be old, but we sure aren't mature....lol

Don't let what others think keep you from body surfin those waves Ginger thumb.gif You're the one who will lose out, not them.

Thank you very much for the kind words at the end of your post. You got me blushin' here :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2005
    Ginger, Sorry you misunderstood my post :(
    I thought my post was complementary, not derogatory. The "knowing" a person context was in light of the good shots, it would be nice to share the shots with the people you were photographing. So often, we take a shot of a person and have it turn out nicely. It's seems that it would be nice to share that with the owners of the face. I've not yet had this opportunity, but think it would be nice.
    Sorry to hear you had such a bad day, but your photos don't show the black mood you were in. At least your subjects looked like they were have a fantastic day. And in my book, for what it's worth, any day you can get shots like this is a good day:D.

I hope this clarifys my post to you,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister