Options

Bulk Cropping tool or utility? Aspect ratio?

fishstickfishstick Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited May 13, 2009 in Finishing School
I find myself spending hours cropping a weekends worth of pics. I currently use PS but am looking for a super quick and easy way to crop. I am also curious what aspect ratio folks typically upload. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited May 12, 2009
    Create an action in PS is easy - but do you really want a machine to do your cropping decisions for you?

Do you shoot your frames with crops in mind at the time of your shoot?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Create an action in PS is easy - but do you really want a machine to do your cropping decisions for you?

Do you shoot your frames with crops in mind at the time of your shoot?

Yes I do my best to frame on the fly but there are always ways to improve the images. I shoot almost exclusively sports, its not unusual for me to have 500 - 1000 images on Sunday night that are begging my attention.

I am very familiar w/ actions, I was just fishing for something fast and simple. I find myself constantly flipping around my crops...I tend to think and crop, crop and think. :)
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    fishstick wrote:
    Yes I do my best to frame on the fly but there are always ways to improve the images. I shoot almost exclusively sports, its not unusual for me to have 500 - 1000 images on Sunday night that are begging my attention.

I am very familiar w/ actions, I was just fishing for something fast and simple. I find myself constantly flipping around my crops...I tend to think and crop, crop and think. :)

If you're going through 500-1000 images in a night, you really should look to something Like Aperture or Lightroom as it's what they were designed for. FAST selection and editing. A Photoshop workflow is going to be a lot slower.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    CatOne wrote:
    If you're going through 500-1000 images in a night, you really should look to something Like Aperture or Lightroom as it's what they were designed for. FAST selection and editing. A Photoshop workflow is going to be a lot slower.

Agreed, Lightroom would be vastly superior in terms of speed and the fact that its fully non damaging to the data compared to Photoshop. The crop is totally non destructive so if you copied and pasted 1000 such crops and then wanted to go in and tweak 20, no problem at all. Until you render the resulting data (which can be done via a batch while you sleep), the original data is never touched.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2009
    arodney wrote:
    Agreed, Lightroom would be vastly superior in terms of speed and the fact that its fully non damaging to the data compared to Photoshop. The crop is totally non destructive so if you copied and pasted 1000 such crops and then wanted to go in and tweak 20, no problem at all. Until you render the resulting data (which can be done via a batch while you sleep), the original data is never touched.

Thanks for the info guys. Lightroom it is. I have added it to my "must have" list.