Best "Simple" settings

bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
edited May 20, 2009 in Cameras
Hey everyone!

So, I'm realizing that my g/f is almost as interested in photography as I am. It seems a lot of shoots, I take a whole bunch of shots, then she forces me to give up the camera and pose for her! I now have a better understanding of how much work it takes to be a good model!

On that note, I haven't been able to find the time to teach her all the manual settings, and since that's how I shoot my camera when we're out, I need to find an alternative. Until I can teach her how to shoot manual, what would be the best mode on my D40 to set for her? Her equipment would be my 18-50 f/2.8, my D40, and maybe an SB400 flash. I don't mind showing her a few things quick, it's just to tide her over until I can teach her manual and we both have some time to actually go and shoot while teaching. She doesn't have her own DSLR, so she learns on mine for now!

Thanks in advance, and I'm sure she'll appreciate your advice as well!
Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    The best thing would be to simply teach her how to use the scene modes. I know we often shy away from them, but they work very well and have done the thinking in advance. Just using the ones on the dial will likely be sufficient - has portrait, landscape, sports, child, macro, and night modes.
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    I would start her off in A or S mode. Give her the basic overview of what that setting means and what it should do.
    Teach her to use the histogram to make adjustments.

When viewing the photos, use the exif to show her how and why the shots were good or bad.
    Steve

Website
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    I would teach her Aperture priority (leaves her 1 wheel to turn and control DOF), also tell to keep schutter above 1/60s to avoid blur, and preset flash for portraits (usualy -1 or so). Thats how I introduced my gf to my Canon.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Thanks everyone, I'll try these out next time she picks up my camera!

~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8