Options

How many hours do you spend in PP?

mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited May 16, 2009 in Finishing School
I am curious how many hours does everyone spend in PP after a typical photoshoot of say around 300-400 images?

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    From 300 shots, I'd try to cull say 20. That might take an hour in Bridge or PhotoMechanic (all that really matters here is getting a fast manual slide show and single key accept/reject.) Then maybe average 5 minutes per shot to fuss in PS.

But it depends on who is going to use them for what.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    More or less the same for me, exept that I spend more time on the ones I select (average of 10 minutes), probably due to skill differences between me and rutt. Some images take much longer, because of particular problems.

Then there are cases where I find a groove that works for a whole set of shots. This happened for me recently in New Mexico, where it took me probably 20 minutes on the first image, but in the process I found a formula that pretty much worked for all of the rest of the shots. Maybe an average of a minute or two on the rest.
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Really depends on what kind of the said shoot is. Most importantly, are the images of a same subject or small group - or of some public event where every images is pretty much has no relation to another subject-wise.

For a portrait session my current average is 200..400 (depending on the length of the shoot), which is culled down to 10..30. Then I may spend anywhere from 1 minute to 30 min depending on how much I paid and/or how much I like the image. I'd say 5 min can be a good average.

For a public event I can bring home anywhere from 700 to 3,000 pictures, again depending of what kind of event it is.
    Those are going up with no individual time at all (some mass adjustments may be made, but that's about it). I simply set a delayed print. If an image is purchased, I quickly touch it up (2-3 min or less) and reupload it.
    If I have time on my hands I may alsoi cull them down to a couple dozen images and then give them the same treatment as in my first case.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    mpriest13 wrote:
    I am curious how many hours does everyone spend in PP after a typical photoshoot of say around 300-400 images?

I cull quite bit. with 300-400 shots I may have something like 50 that are exposed wrong or out of focus or some other serious flaw. Then I will force myself to cull down to about 1/2 of what I started with..even "good" shots.

Then like Nik I may spend 1min to 15min a shot..average around 3-5min/per?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    I just sent a whole mess of stuff to shootdotedit :D can't wait to see how great they do.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I just sent a whole mess of stuff to shootdotedit :D can't wait to see how great they do.

Andy, this is very interesting. How great do they do? Compared to how great you can do? Compared to me? Compared to posting here and choosing the best result?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Andy wrote:

I would love to see some before/after shots...
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Andy, this is very interesting. How great do they do? Compared to how great you can do? Compared to me? Compared to posting here and choosing the best result?
    +1 :lurk
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Andy....could you post a before and after edit from some of the photos you had done :D